Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Is this the correct place for a standby switch?

1/9/2005 6:06 PM
daz Is this the correct place for a standby switch?  
that link will open a jpg of part of the classic 30 P/S. I put a red X where i believe a sp/st standby switch could be inserted. Am i correct, or just a bumbling idiot? Wait......forget the second part of the question. :)
1/9/2005 8:06 PM
Wild Bill

Daz, looks to me like you'll still have B+ to the plates as the switch would come after that tap.  
---Wild Bill
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.
1/9/2005 8:19 PM
daz well...
i see what you mean, but the classic 50 schematic which has a standby shows it in the same place i put it. could it be that peavey put an incorrect standby in the 50 that only functions as a switch to quiet the amp instead of keeping the tubes from wearing too? So how would i do it? Would i need to put the switch right between the plates and the 332 volt supply that comes right after the rectifier?
1/10/2005 9:46 AM
daz Ok, how bout this ?
Am i correct in assuming that a correct standby switch is nothing more than disconnecting the plates from the P/S? If so, thats all i need to know to do it.  
I would howver like to know what you call a 3 position switch that would be DP/DT with one side that has common and one of the poles connected in center and one of the other positions, and the other side of the switch the opposite. this is what i believe i'll need to replace the power switch with a single switch that will give me off/standby/on. What would the described switch be called?
1/11/2005 9:33 PM
Steve A.

daz said:  
What would the described switch be called?  
    Her friends call her Gertrude. Oops... wrong joke! That is commonly called a Progressive Switch and I ordered a few last year from:  
Dave West  
4583 Comanche Drive  
Okemos, MI 48864  
    As I recall the progressive switches are a bit pricey ($12-$16) and a regular center-off DPDT toggle switch will work just fine (even though the logic of the user interface is mixed up a bit: standby-off-on)  
Steve Ahola
1/10/2005 3:30 PM
Re: Is this the correct place for a standby switch?
put the switch after the bridge, but b4 the first filter cap. good place for it. good luck!!  
1/10/2005 3:53 PM
daz So.......
Basically you're saying that all voltage should be shut off except for the filiments?
   Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>