ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Lee Jackson Marshall mod?

12/31/2004 3:28 PM
Glen Lee Jackson Marshall mod?
Has anybody heard a marshall moddeed by Lee Jackson? If so did it sound good,muddy, peircing highs, ect? thanks

1/1/2005 8:01 AM
rooster
An old roommate of mine had one of the old Metaltronix amps that LJ used to make. It did the 80's distortion thing pretty well, but not the phenomenal crunch of the old Marshalls. I wouldn't call it "fizzy", but it was mostly tuned for the Metallica sound from the first or second album, to my ears. Of course, it's been 15 years since I heard that amp, but I do know he sold it rather quickly and went to old Super Leads.  

rooster.

Saturday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

1/1/2005 9:09 AM
MKB
email

I have heard a few, actually borrowed a modded 50W Marshall head several years ago. IIRC it was a master volume model (2204). It basically had an added stage after the tone stack, as well as a PPI master volume. It sounded very buzzy and thin, but I didn't crank it up so high that the power tubes distorted. Lots of gain though. I didn't like anything about it.

1/1/2005 9:16 AM
Dai Hirokawa
email

there's sort of a tribute site, which has a schemo of the pre and power of a Lee Jackson amp--might be of interest:  

http://www.metaltronix.net/metaltronix-schematics.htm

1/1/2005 12:14 PM
Mr. Droopy-Drawers
email

It has to be a tribute site. You can tell whomever drew the schematics has European schooling, while Lee is a borderline redneck. The few missives I was lucky(?) enough to receive from Lee contained so many grammatical and spelling errors, that I wondered who really wrote them. Then I see the same types of errors in the 'tribute'. Hmmm.  
The Lee Jackson modded Marshall heads I had looked in were wired very sloppy, and they were noisy as all get-go. Lee even took a Dremel to the Orange Drops capacitors(!), so you couldn't read the values. Nice. I could steal the values where you stole them from, Lee; Orange.  
The modded heads are a sonic example of the tone sought after from that era; thin and buzzy. The people I knew sending Lee their Marshall were out $600 IIRC. Now they can't sell the head for half of that. I wouldn't do my Marshall that way. Look for a used head with the mod already installed. You'll save $600 at least.  
*WARNING* This is just one man's opinion. And it is worth exactly what you paid for it. The views and opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of any sane and rational person, living or dead, real or imagined. Thank you.

1/1/2005 3:38 PM
MKB
email

Hmm, while pondering this a few more details came to mind. All these are from memory, so please take them with however many grains of salt you wish.  

He also changed the presence control cap to 0.68uF. The PPI MV was a one-pot type with a switch, much like you see in a Matchless. The preamp was very similar to a Lee Jackson Metaltronix rack mount preamp, with that one stage after the tone stack, and the switchable treble cap in the tone stack.  

The topology is very similar to the OD channel in an early eighties Fender Concert. This amp as well as the others (Super Champ among others) are mainly known as being Paul Rivera designs, but I read somewhere that Lee Jackson claims to have input on the designs also. Because of this, I made a minor change to the Concert OD channel (330k grid resistor into the OD tube) that really smoothed out the OD sound.

1/1/2005 2:08 PM
glen
i wanted to know because on ebay and lee jacksons site he is selling a dvd and vhs that shows you how to do his marshall mods. but from what i'm reading here it may not be worth it! anymore comments or opinions please let me know. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>