ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

marshall choke replacement

1/20/2006 1:15 PM
Joe N.
email
marshall choke replacement
what do you guys think? A 10H, 90ma, 270ohm would make for a good 100W marshall choke replacement.

1/21/2006 4:16 AM
Chris/CMW amps
email

Hi Joe  

It also depends on the used materials, wire and way of winding and building but I love 10H chokes in 50 and 100 Watt Marshalls for blues and rock.  

Hope this helps,  

Chris

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

1/21/2006 8:03 AM
Joe N.
email

thanks chris,  

the one I'm thinking of using is from triad magnetics.  

http://www.triadmagnetics.com/subcategory/xref.asp?formid=mpart&reference=c-7x  

The model is c-7x. The specs look good. looks like it has enough current for a 100W, and the resistance is right in the ball park of what is normal, but I don't know how its made, or if any one has used it for a guitar amp. I also don't know the specs of the original marshall used. I guess in reality, it just has to be better than a resistor, and I'll be happy.  

-Joe

1/22/2006 2:57 AM
Chris/CMW amps
email

Hi Joe  

Haven't tried/used that one so I can't commend...  

About every choke is better than a resistor if that's needed :)  
Regardings Hs, current and ohms I don't see a problem using that Triad choke.  

Keep on building,  

Chris

1/23/2006 4:26 PM
Jimi
email

Hi Ive got a 135w fender twin, doesnt have a choke. Would it help to warm it up if I put one in there or even a resistor?

1/24/2006 2:08 PM
Chris/CMW amps
email

Hi Jimi  

You can convert the UL output to a regular one and install a replacement Fender choke. That choke will fit if mounted in a slight angle or you could slightly "modify" the small board above the new choke in the chassis.  

Besides other tweaks I've done this a couple of times in 75 and 135 Watt fenders for clients wanting a "better/more vintage" sound.  

Hope this helps,  

Chris

1/23/2006 8:30 PM
BK
270Ohm is a bit on the high side. You can get Hammond chokes of the rating down to 100Ohms. This wont drop your voltage as much.  

BK

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>