ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

put standby before or after 1st filter?

4/4/2005 7:23 AM
Shea
email
put standby before or after 1st filter?
Can someone explain the relative pros & cons of putting the standby switch after the first filter, as in Fenders, or before it, as in Marshalls?  

And if it makes any difference, assume there's a 5U4 rectifier. And an HT fuse.  

Shea

4/4/2005 8:22 PM
Enzo
email

Everyone will come up with a rationalization for why their method is better, but it just doesn't matter. You can decide if you want the caps to stay charged or not, or some but not others. Who cares?  

In the off position, B+ doesn't get to all its destinations, and ON it does. That's all. I care a lot about safety, so I always assume caps are charged until I know different. As to voltage, there will always be a high voltage on one side of the switch and not the other. It is all lethal no matter how you do it.  

The point is to silence the amp without having the tubes cool down. You can remove B+ from them altogether or just from the screens, either works. You can do what some amps do - short the output tube grids together. All of those work

Monday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

4/5/2005 1:43 AM
Greg Simon
The Silvertone 1484 just shorts the output tube grids together, but it doesn't work completely, as when it is in standby you can play and hear it as if it was going through a tinny little speaker in a headphone. Actually a cool effect!

4/5/2005 8:02 AM
Carl Gigun
email

The only technical things I can think of are  

1st cap always charged style:  
pros - possibly less current surge when you flip to play  
cons - cap voltage will rise significantly when you flip to standby  

all caps discharge style:  
pros - possibly safer to work on, no stress on cap during standby  
cons - more surge stress when you flip to play

4/5/2005 9:37 AM
Shea
email

[QUOTE]1st cap always charged style:  
pros - possibly less current surge when you flip to play[/QUOTE]  

I thought so too - so maybe that would be less likely to make a thump sound or blow the HT fuse when I switch to play. I think if I put bleeder resistors on both the 1st and 2nd filters, then the pros & cons would balance in favor of doing it that way.  

Maybe Enzo's right that it doesn't really matter, but each way of doing it is just as easy as the other, and I'd like to have some idea why I'm picking one over the other no matter how minor that reason may be.  

Shea

4/5/2005 9:59 AM
Jack
email

I've heard of a few problems with the standby switch actually wearing out after time due to arcing... more likely to occur if the switch is before the first filter caps. I've never experienced this, as I play Fenders. So longevity of the switch itself may be another minor consideration.  

Jack

4/5/2005 10:49 AM
steve rathmann
There's another alternative which will eliminate voltage stress on the switch. You can lift the cathodes of the power tubes from ground. This will leave ALL caps charged and the voltage differential across the switch will be just a few volts.

Page 1 of 5 Next> Last Page>>