ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Myth #5

8/26/2004 12:49 PM
anonymous Re: Myth #5
If you like that, this is really going to crack you up:  
http://www.tpub.com/content/neets/14180/index.htm  

Check out the material on coupling - it's a real hoot.

11/8/2004 1:52 PM
kg
email
Re: telfon solid wire brittle?
quote:
"What's next? Skin effect?"

are you saying it's not real?

Saturday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

8/26/2004 6:50 AM
PeteRH Thanks for the link DD....
Thanks for the link DD.  

Interesting site!!

8/26/2004 8:30 AM
Newt
email
Oops!
Looks like I stumbled onto an audiophool forum by mistake!

8/26/2004 10:23 AM
Wild Bill
email

Once again I can't see the connection between the point of argument and the example given. Maybe it's just me...  

I had thought the question was about how can a wire have polarity. DD gives a link which I read twice and didn't see anything to do with polarity!  

The idea of making a non-superconductor with zero resistance is fascinating but how does that relate to polarity?  

These "answers" still seem more political than technically pertinent to me.  

Can someone explain what I missed?  

And once again, to that statement of "...not a diode, Wild Bill", is not a conductor with a higher resistance in one direction than another a diode, by definition? Why would this be different?  

---Wild Bill

8/26/2004 11:45 AM
anonymous
Bill,  
You missed nothing.  
This entire DD line of DooDoo is ..... well, just that.

8/26/2004 1:10 PM
Dr. Photon
A wire that can conduct better (even SLIGHTLY) in one direction than in the opter is a diode by the definition of a diode. So th WonderWire just conducts almost as heavily when it is reverse biased as when it is forward biased. Even "real" diodes have a very small amount of leakage current when they are reverse biased. A wire or device that conducts very slightly better in one direction than the other? How about a DIODE with a very low ohmage resistor in parallel with it - that would act the same as the "WonderWire" if what you are saying about it's "directionality" is correct.  

Also, the VOLTAGE on the wire (relative to ground, remember that the voltage at a certain point is always relative to annother point) is fluctuating DC, or an AC voltage added to a DC voltage. Let us assume that a plate is at 200 volts above ground, and there is a 10 volts (peak-peak) AC signal riding on top of that. You could meaure that is beaing a DC voltage relative to ground that fluctuates between 195 and 205 volts DC. But what if we measure relative to some other voltage point, such as 200 volts DC. Then the wire will be at 0 volts DC and will only have the 10 volt P-P AC component. Or we could measure that as a DC voltage that fluctuates between positive 5 volts and then NEGATIVE 5 volts. Note that the current in the wire DOES not cause current to flow. No current can flow since the coupling capacitor will block all of the DC component and only alow the AC component to pass.  

If you looked at the current flowing in the wire with no signal, there would be no current flowing once the capacitor has charged up. On an AC voltage peak, the electrons would be flowing in one direction, and then they would stop and flow back in the other direction on a negative peak. You said the wire conducts slightly better in one direction than the other. Therefore, only one half of the waveform would benefit from this. Therefore, the wire is acting like a diode (diodes are unidirectional current "valves"). The DC voltage that happens to be on a wire means nothing unless there is a load on it to cause a DC current to flow.

<<First Page<Prev Page 7 of 8 Next> Last Page>>