ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Myth #5

9/23/2004 2:37 PM
jeffM
email
Re: Myth #5
hey Anonymous ..  
what is your problem with DD? If most of the folks  
come to this forum to learn tube amp things, like myself, why do you insist on clogging up the postings  
with repeated attacks on DD's postings? Are you angry  
at the world ... ?

8/26/2004 9:55 AM
DD
Dr Photon, you're answer is one of complete ignorance.  

You said:  

"So there is a DC voltage on that wire along with the audio AC. All that means is that the electronis in that wire are at a higher potential (or lower, depending on it's polity WRT ground) than ground. Does this mean anything, no.  

It means more than that. It means that pure AC has been converted into unidirectional DC. If you don't understand the concept I cannot help you further because you seem to have reached a comprehension limit.

Saturday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

8/26/2004 9:49 AM
DD
You are completely right with what you said.  

My explanation was long winded because apparantly there are people who don't understand what you just said.  

It's a very sad state of affairs indeed.

8/26/2004 7:59 AM
anonymous
The concept of directionality in hook-up wire and interconnect cable comes up every now and then. It can't be supported by any reputable theoretical or applied science.  

Engineers, and audio designers argue against it logically …  

From Audio Engineering Society (AES) and Steve Lampen of Beldon Wire:  

http://www.aes.org/sections/pnw/pnwrecaps/2000/lampen/  

From Douglas Self:  

"Audio signals are AC. Cables cannot be directional any more than 2 + 2 can equal 5. Anyone prepared to believe this nonsense won't be capable of designing amplifiers, so there seems no point in further comment."  

That’s never enough for those audio heads who argue subjectively and without a single shred of compelling evidence in support of the claim.  

Buyer beware. It doesn’t work because it can’t.  

Uri Geller NEVER, EVER bent a spoon with his mind either.

8/26/2004 9:47 AM
DD
If your quoted sources are saying that varying DC is not directional then they are completely wrong. DC always flows in one direction whether you like it or not no matter how many experts you quote. The laws of physics are not invalidated just because an expert attempts to rewrite the laws.  

Audio on cable interconnects is pretty much pure AC. That is well known and that is what I believe your experts are talking about. I am sure all of your experts realize that audio signals deep within an amplifier for the most part is varying DC and not pure AC and is therefore subject to the physical laws regarding DC including the law of physics that says DC always flows in a single direction.

8/26/2004 11:42 AM
anonymous
quote:
"I am sure all of your experts realize that audio signals deep within an amplifier for the most part is varying DC and not pure AC and is therefore subject to the physical laws regarding DC including the law of physics that says DC always flows in a single direction."

This DooDoo is so simply debunked as to be trivial.  
Anyone who puts this argument forward has little formal knowledge of electronics.  

The signal from your guitar is ac - no question.  
That means the signal at the first grid - is ac.  
The resulting fluctuating dc current through the first plate resistor creates a voltage drop equivalent to some ac value superimposed on a dc value. This dc value is stripped off the output by the first stage output coupling cap prior to reaching the second grid (direct coupled stages are different). So, the signal entering the second grid is - you guessed it (bigger) ac!  

Repeat as required.  

So, the signals "deep within an amplifier" are ac.  

This would be why every electronics engineering textbook since the dawn of the IEEE calls these AC VOLTAGE AMPLIFIERS.

8/26/2004 11:57 AM
DD
Ha Ha Ha. You make me laugh very hard with your buffoonary and ignorance! Thank you very much. I was feeling a little depressed today but you defrinitely lifted my spirit with your joke.  

Thank you.

<<First Page<Prev Page 6 of 8 Next> Last Page>>