ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: telfon solid wire brittle?

8/24/2004 6:09 PM
DD Re: telfon solid wire brittle?
I should point out that silver wire is quite expensive in 19 ga. It gets more reasonable at 21-22 ga.  

A good alternative is "Wonder WIre" sold by Percy Audio which is cheaper and is basically highly pure copper coated with crystalized silver. The wire is polarized meaning that it conducts better in one direction than the other. Because of this it may not be for everybody especially if you can't keep your polarization straight.  

It's more important to use Teflon insulation than silver wire IMO because silver only reduces resistance marginally compared to copper and most runs are very short.

8/24/2004 8:18 PM
anonymous
The wire is polarized meaning that it conducts better in one direction than the other.  

So you only use it in the power supply, right?

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

8/24/2004 8:34 PM
DD
No. Every wire carrying an audio signal has an input and an output to it. In general, electrons flow from positive polarity to ground hence the wiring path is polarized naturally.  

I'm sure the difference in polarity is miniscule.

8/24/2004 8:45 PM
Wild Bill
email

If the wire actually has such polarity then by definition it's a diode!  

Would this not lead to RFI problems?  

---Wild Bill

8/24/2004 8:48 PM
anonymous
Every wire carrying an audio signal has an input and an output to it.  
Um. Please explain how an AC signal knows which end of the wire is the 'input' and which end is the 'output'.  

I'm sure the difference in polarity is miniscule.  
If by 'miniscule' you mean 'non existent', then I agree with you. Otherwise you are posting monstercable marketing bs.  

What's next? Skin effect?

8/24/2004 10:09 PM
Tracy
email

Maybe I am wrong but i thought DC current flows from ground to the positive polarity

8/25/2004 9:17 AM
MBSetzer
email

Yeah, back where I come from the electrons are negatively charged themselves, and flow when available from ground to a positively charged collector.  

Thanks for the link to Percy Audio though :)  

Mike

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 8 Next> Last Page>>