ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: I just changed the board-mounted footswitch on my pedal.

3/23/2005 5:40 AM
KB
email
Re: I just changed the board-mounted footswitch on my pedal.
That's pretty rough stuff just to change a switch but on the good side you do have true bypass. The only thing about pcb's is the more you handle them the greater the chances of a trace breaking,cracking,ect.. or even a cold solder joint. The switch should last a good while though hopefully.  

Your right about 12AX7's lasting 10 to 20 years is not a problem however, what kills these dual-triodes is turning them on and off several times not plate voltage. The heater to cathode insulation will break down and filaments will burn out mainly because of in-rush currents when turned on. Many amps hve ramp-up timers are RC networks to gradually step the current up to prevent this. Tube rectifiers do it automatically. My buddy has a 65 Deluxe that has tele 12ax7's that are 25 years old and they are awesome. The sad thing is they sound their best when they are about to go. doh!,  

KB

3/23/2005 12:42 PM
anonymous
I'm not getting a clear picture of this.  
You seem to be saying that tube reliability is compromised by filament turn-on-off.  
How does a rectifier tube mitigate this automatically?

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

3/23/2005 6:29 PM
KB
email

ha ha ! you got me on that one anonomous. I should have said it ramps the high voltage supply not filaments however an RC time delay will ramp them up slower but a rectifier will only limit the high voltage as all of the filaments are on a seperate winding from the rectifier on most 5 volt supplies. Turn on or in-rush current does still wear your tubes out faster than a rc supply will. btw what is anonomous ?,  

KB

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 2