ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Line 6 ubermetal pedal???

3/9/2005 9:00 PM
Joe Davis Line 6 ubermetal pedal???
Has any one tried one ofthese and if so did you like the sound? Just curious as I'm looking to get a new dirt box to replace the Ibanez distortion charger I've used for the last ten years. I need a very marshallamp sound sound but with good bass and that singing lead smoothness the Ibanez pedal does so well. run the Ibanez thru my old 50 watt non master marshall or my 100 watt fender bassman. It sound sound good but I need something new......8^I  

Thanks  

Joe

3/9/2005 9:29 PM
Mark Hammer
I have a pair of the new Tone Core pedals (Echo Park, Tap Tremolo). They're quite good.  

In general, I have been underimpressed with the kinds of things digital technology can do in the way of distortion. It is important to note, however, that such digital effects have generally been nested within multi-effects units, where the DSP circuitry had to take care of many things and wasn't in a strong position to be fast enough to tackle the kinds of moment-to-moment things that good distortion modelling needs to do.  

In the case of the Tone Core and other single-function digital pedals (e.g., Digitech's series), the multi-tasking element is removed so the DSP is in a stronger position to do more with the signal with respect to modelling distortion. We're also a few years down the road right now from where we started with digital distortion mimickry, with faster processors, and better modelling algorithms, so I expect good things. Not having one, though, I can't speak to the naturalness of the distortion tone. The samples at the Line 6 site suggest the Crunch Master is a pretty good pedal, as well as the Uber Metal. Of course, whether they do a great job at what they do, or not, is separate from whether its the tone you want.  

I'd be remiss in not putting in a plug for any of the very fine DIY boxes that the various contributors on the DIYstompbox forum have contributed (http://www.diystompboxes.com/sboxforum). Ed Guidry's "BSIAB" (Brown Sound in a Box), and several of Joe Davisson's designs (Blackfire, Vulcan, Obsidian) have won rave reviews from builders desiring high gain sounds. I built a Blackfire, and it kicks royal butt; very much a "singing" pedal. On the less high-gain side are Doug Hammond's designs, like the Highway 89, and some of the designs at runoffgroove.com that mimic several well-known different tube amp preamp sections.  

Check 'em all out, commercial and DIY, and see what you like.

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

3/10/2005 12:39 AM
Joe Davis
Mark, Thanks for the info as it is most helpful.  
I tried to look for the blackfire schem but did not see it on the site you gave.  

I guess the best thing for me is to go down to the local GC and just try these tc pedals out. Hard to tell there though as they ussually have crappy little amps to try them thru and having a sales person breathing down you neck while you test, not to mention the little people trying to play Nirvana tunes (real loud) as you test...LOL  

Thanks  

Joe

3/10/2005 10:54 AM
Derek
The Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal is a great analog high gain distortion pedal. I too can't stand digital distortion. It just doesn't respond to your playing like an analog circuit. It seems to defeat the "tone is in your fingers" element to playing. Digital modulation, echo, etc is fine, but distortion has to be anaolog all the way for me, and the MT-2 sounds great.

3/10/2005 10:56 AM
Derek
...I also hate the crappy gating they put on all those digital effects - drives me nuts!!

3/10/2005 12:02 PM
Mark Hammer
Again, I will say that one ought not to confuse hw distortion in a multi-FX box sounds with how a dedicated digital distortion "modeller" sounds.  

Consider the comparison of your average PS2 against your average PC. The PS2 likely has a processor several times slower than the PC yet it kicks the PC's ass around the block in terms of graphics performance. Why? Because it is doing one thing at a time, not trying to fit that one thing in an otherwise busy schedule.  

When digital distortion emulation is wedged in between what the multi-FX is doing with respect to the delay, EQ, and compression it is currently trying to take care of, without appreciable/detectable lag in the note being playd/processed, it starts to become a bit like the computer desparately trying to draw pictures at the same time as it is checking the modem and/or NIC, as well as managing all the operating system variables, keeping one eye on the mouse and another on the keyboard, etc. etc. With the DSP chip muttering "Yeah, yeah, just a sec, I'll get to it, but I'm workin on something at the moment", it is small wonder that digital distortion can often disappoint.  

One thing at a time, though, and it is freed up to do its job well, without needed gating.

3/10/2005 6:13 PM
Joe Davis
Wow, the reponse here is good. If the digital distortion isn't good, then how about the tone bone hot british pedal, is that any good?  

I'm looking for a distortion that has that marshall hi gain but smooth fine glass distortion and singing lead sound. The Ibanez almost gets me there but it lacks a bit of bass in some amps.  

Regarding the Boss metal zone they are ok but not my taste for distortion as I always thought they sounded a bit fake.  

Isn't there a fellow in OK. that does pedal mods? Seems I remember seeing him post here but his name slips my mind....  

Joe

Page 1 of 1