ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Which diodes for Big Muff Pi?

5/19/2004 4:19 AM
Humbucker Which diodes for Big Muff Pi?
On two different schematics that I've seen on the Big Muff pi it shows that the diodes are 1N4148 or 1N926, neither of these diodes are offered on Small Bear's website. Are there other diodes that would do the job?

5/19/2004 9:31 AM
mark hammer
email

1N4148's will do just fine as will 1N914's.

Saturday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

5/19/2004 1:12 PM
Humbucker
1N914s will do just fine? Super!  

Thanks Mark!  

BTW Mark, have you built any new pedals lately?

5/20/2004 8:11 AM
Mark Hammer
email

""BTW Mark, have you built any new pedals lately?"  

"Built" can mean a lot of things. I have a whole slew of mostly, partly, and fully-populated boards that are awaiting the diligent connection of pots, jacks, and power supply leads, and the installation into cases. Ever since I figured out how to make PCBs fast and cheap with glossy photopaper, my capacity to generate the boards has tended to outstrip my capacity to deliver the finishing touches.  

I did put together a "May Queen" booster a couple of weeks ago and was pleased with the sound. Right now, though, I have 3 different mini-amps (two of them battery operated with big batteries) I'm trying to plan out in between household projects and family commitments. I've been perusing a big stack of amp schematics from the solid-state lines of Crate, Fender, and Marshall, looking for ideas. Lots there to work with.

5/20/2004 12:58 PM
Humbucker
Yeah, building an amp sounds like a really neat project! I may try to tackle something like that one day. But I suppose it wouldn't take too long before the cost goes through the roof. None the less, I guess you'd still be ahead because a handwired ptp guitar amp is pretty much unaffordable. Plus you get the satisfaction and knowledge of building it yourself plus you can tweak the hell out of the thing until you arrive at your own idea of sonic Nirvana.

5/20/2004 2:20 PM
Mark Hammer
email

Oh, I'm not looking for sonic nirvana, and I'm unlikely to make anything that involves any components that cost more than $10 per part. I have a 95% original 59 Bassman and tweed Princeton, so I'm pretty well set in that regard.  

The amps under construction are just portable doohickeys for keeping around the test bench or bringing on vacation trips. One is also for a friend's kid who currently plays through a little 6" speaker 3-knob Univox that came with his cheapo guitar. He deserves a little more inspiration than that, and I figure that 20W with channel switching and onboard FX, through a pair of 8" speakers in a closed cab ought to be enough of a contrast in that regard.

5/24/2004 7:52 AM
BoB
Interesting, why not give him a proper speaker size? 8" is never going to sound too hot.  
Any chance you could share your glossy photopaper techniques with us? I'd certainly like to know how to knock up PCB's cheaply (PNP Is about £15 here).  

Thanks,  

BoB

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>