ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

IT WORKS!!, But kinda dark

12/24/2005 3:40 PM
NateW
email
IT WORKS!!, But kinda dark
Well, my first amp project (5E3) works (almost)great. I do have a few questions though to work out the bugs. First of all I am using trannies out of a hammond organ. My B+ on the plates is 368 which is probably ok, but the preamp B+ is 228. Is that too high? If so, can I just put a bigger resistor for the preamp filter cap? (OH, I used 20uf for the third filter instead of 15uf, plus 5U4 rectifier). There is also an almost unnoticable nature to the notes that sound like a fast tremolo under the note when I let one note sustain. I get little clean headroom and the volumes come on all around 2, don't do anything til 4, then gain heaven after that. Normal? I guess I would like smoother control from the volumes. The tone control works great thoughout the range. Also, it is a bit dark sounding. I wouldn't even call the bright channel bright. Oh, and how do I measure plate dissipation to make sure nothing will blow up. Sorry for the rambling, just excited. Thanks.  

Nate  

PS< I'll work on posting some clips.

12/24/2005 4:14 PM
NateW
email

Oh yeah, power tube cathode voltage is 22V

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

12/24/2005 4:10 PM
Al Lang
email

Nate ,  

All is normal for a 5E3 but time for entering "tweaking territory". We will make your 5E3 sing as sweet as you like.  

A few cap changes, maybe a volume mod and you will think you died and went to heaven.  

What guitar do you play and what are you looking for besides what you mentioned? Your type of music? all the skinny...?  

Al

12/25/2005 9:05 AM
NateW
email

OK, messing around with the controls I am getting more headroom. Still pretty dark. Should I be messing with caps on the tone and volumes, or coupling caps to limit bass response?  
I play a JV Strat and mostly classic rock (PF). I am comparing this to my other amp, a Hot Rod Deluxe. It is much darker than the Hod Rod. The Hod Rod clean is what I would call fatter or rounder, if that makes sense. Overdrive on the 5E3 blows the Hot Rod away :)

12/25/2005 9:24 AM
TD Madden
email

What type of speaker are you using? that can play a large part as well.

12/27/2005 10:02 AM
Al Lang
email

Nate W,  

Change the by pass cap from 12AY7 to 4.7uf or even 1uf. Change the coupling caps from 12AY7, off pins one and six to .01uf and .022uf, respectively.  

Change the by pass cap off 12AX7, pin three to 4.7uf and change the coupling caps off pin one to .002uf (maybe a stock value), pin six .047uf  

Finally change the big .1uf off pin 8 of the 12AY7 to .047uf  

You should find the amp much brighter. You can also try the volume mod that Bruce uses at times for a better control of the volume but then maybe some of these de-farting cap changes I listed may make the amp too bright but maybe not.  

Search the treads for the volume mod but you may need to contact Bruce for the mod. He has step to step instructions with many pics.  

I did the value changes that I mentioned and the amp really came alive with a strat. The volume mod makes the 5E3 too bright with a strat and the cap changes but changing the bright cap to a lower value(in Bruces mod)across the volume pot fixes that.  

Al

1/1/2006 10:20 PM
NateW
email

Thanks Al, I put the cathode caps down to 10uf and the coupling caps from V1 to .01 and .022 and it brightened up a good bit. I am going to play it for a while and see if I want to go further, Thanks again.  

Nate

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>