ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Story on the new Mission AC15/ Tweed Deluxe Hybrid?

12/7/2005 6:06 PM
swingin.little.guitarman
email
Story on the new Mission AC15/ Tweed Deluxe Hybrid?
This amp sounds REALLY interesting. Ok, Bruce, it's time to confess.

12/8/2005 12:45 AM
Bruce /Mission Amps
email

The new chrome chassis will be ready to pickup on Thursday afternoon....  
I decided to go volume, treble, bass and master volume with a small switch somewhere on the underside to kick up the mids a notch if needed.  
The circuit board layout is done, OTs are here and the power trannys were ordered three weeks ago, set to be shipped in another week or so.  
I'm still thinking it's a 6V6/6L6 amp but we messed with an adapter plate idea and using EL84s too... like the world needs another nasaly, screechin' monkey, 18 watt EL84 amp, ... sorry Johnny. ;)  
I just have to build one from start to finish to prove it now! ha ha  
Will it be a kit? I don't know yet... TBA  

Bruce

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

12/8/2005 7:16 AM
Jef any relation to the Voxy Lady?
Is there some kind of relationship with the Voxy Lady? I understand that the former AX84 Voxy Lady project was also your creation, Bruce?  

Jef

12/8/2005 9:49 AM
Bruce /Mission Amps
email

Yes, the VoxyLady was my contribution to the AX84 forum many years ago and yes, this project is related to the VoxyLady... you dog ;)  

Bruce

12/8/2005 3:24 PM
Dave H
email
Re: Story on the new Mission AC15/ Tweed Deluxe Hybrid?
quote:
"like the world needs another nasaly, screechin' monkey, 18 watt EL84 amp, ... "

Yeah, but does it need another ever so soft and sweet, testosterone deficient 6V6 amp? :)  

My 5E3 is nice at home but she’s far too polite to take play out at the pub with the boys. I keep her out of harm’s way in the trunk, just in case the 18 watt breaks down. ;)  

Dave

12/8/2005 3:31 PM
Dave H
email
typo
Make that 'far too polite to play out...'

12/9/2005 12:36 PM
Bruce /Mission Amps
email
Uh Oh, Controversy brewing... :)
The 5E3 at +10 watts output is not really a fair comparison to an in your face, Marshally 18 watt EL84 amp. Especially when they are tuned to that gainey squeezed tonezone above 180Hz, glassy at 1500Hz on up to shrillness at 2.5KHz and above.  
Listen to one of those 18 watters in an open back 12" cabinet like the tweed Deluxe uses and you'll hear what I mean.  
However, this new amp using two 6V6s, which always sound more violin/singing like to me, ... will be a rockin' dog and have a pissed of attitude if wanted with a little bit of that AC15/AC30, plucky, spread out tone with out the shrillness.  
Bruce

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>