ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: I agree...

12/6/2005 4:35 PM
alan
email
Re: I agree...
great idea on the tone pot! I have got the wiring mod done and it is working, it definate sounds alot louder, punchier and less distorted, didnt have time to play with it. maybe i had the original wired wrong  
thanks

12/7/2005 8:51 AM
anonymous
(Unless I misinterpret what you are trying to say) you can not boost frequencies with a passive tone control such as found in the 5E3 design. You can only roll off what the amp provides.

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

12/7/2005 8:58 AM
Bruce /Mission Amps
email

You can bypass the volume control with more upper mids and highs for more "treble" or you can send highs and upper mids to ground for less "treble", but you can not roll any bass off or reduce much of the very low mids.  
Which by the way, still sound fantastic for a single tone control!!  

Bruce

12/7/2005 12:40 PM
Steve A.
email

Bruce said:  

Which by the way, still sound fantastic for a single tone control!!  

Yup, it sure does a lot of work for a single knob! I think of the "top half" of the 5E3 tone control as being a variable bright boost across the volume control, while the "bottom half" is a more typical treble cut tone control (as on a guitar). But there is a certain synergy between the two halves, so that the whole is more than the sum of the parts.  

Just wondering if you have checked out the single tone control on the Trace Elliot Velocette (which Gibson also marketed as their Goldtone GA-15)- it uses a dual-ganged 250k pot, which is wired up to a typical BF tone stack in place of the treble and midrange controls (the bass control is replaced by a fixed resistor). Hmmm... does anybody know if that pot would be linear or audio taper?  

Steve Ahola

12/7/2005 4:21 PM
Bruce /Mission Amps
email

Yup, I have used that circuit too and it works well but a bit more edgy/Voxy smashed sounding.  
I think Chris W told me he has used a similar circuit in a tone quest too.  

Bruce

12/10/2005 9:37 AM
Bear
Is that Trace/Gibson circuit behind a cathode follower? Don't have a scheme.  

Bear

12/10/2005 12:44 PM
Bruce /Mission Amps
email

No, RC plate coupled.  

Bruce

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 3 Next> Last Page>>