ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Sound of Double Deluxe...

10/27/2005 11:33 AM
Allen
email
Sound of Double Deluxe...
Hey folks,  
I'm considering a Double Deluxe kit, but I wanted to get more info on what they sound like... It must sound different than the standard 5E3, right? Are they real dark sounding with the 4 6V6's? Does the amp produce enough useable clean power to use at a small club? Sure looks interesting in concept... any sound clips?  

Thanks,  
Allen

10/27/2005 10:58 PM
Thomas
email

I'm kinda curious about this as well. I'd also like know how it would go running different tube complements ie 2 6L6's or if you could run 2 6L6 and 2 6V6 and other combinations

Thursday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

10/28/2005 12:53 PM
Allen
email

Bruce? Anybody?

10/28/2005 3:51 PM
thorny
I have built a couple double deluxes. In stock form it does not seem to have any more headroom. It is a slightly louder deluxe. But I recommend a few simple mods - such as the one Bruce is selling.  

I did the tone stack mod as well as the paulc phase inverter mod - chris helped me with it on this forum. I think this is covered in bruce's mod - so I highly recommend it. I did not feel the need to go to a fixed bias - I wanted it to stay cathode biased. I also did not go with a choke either. I played with the coupling cap values as well and tubes - I didn't like chinese 6V6s and use a 12AX7 in the front end instead of the 12AY7 since the mods. Both amps sound different because I am using a weber OT on one and a custom Mercury Mag tranny on the other. I also am using ceramic speakers for more punch - one has a couple of celestions (H30 and Vintage30) and the other weber sig ceramics (the one that is like a C12N with a greenback cone). They both roar.  

The Mercury tranny one screams and is like a deluxe married a blues breaker and had a baby. It is much louder and rocks. The stock weber tranny is not bad either - it has a bit less headroom than the Mercury I am using and a bit more compressed. Both sound killer and have a LOT more headroom than a stock deluxe, but still have the great distortion character of the deluxe - just a bit more controllable.  

My advice:  
1) Build one  
2) Do Bruce's / Chris' mod  
3) Choose your speakers with your sound goals in mind  
4) after listening, decide other tweaks such as coupling caps, tubes, fixed or cathode bias, choke or no choke, output tranny options.  

But if you expect more headroom from the stock 5E3x2, I think you will be disappointed. It is a bit louder but distorts very early - just like a deluxe.  

Thorny

10/29/2005 12:47 PM
Allen
email

Thanks Thorny good info... so these amps work well for club gigs? I'm like you, I want to stay with a cathode biased design. Did you keep the Weber PT's? What speakers are you running in the Mercury OT equipped unit?  

Allen

10/29/2005 1:36 PM
thorny
Yeah, you can definitely gig with them. I used the weber power trannies with both ones. I think it sounds as loud as a bandmaster, and after the mods it is more controllable getting to that point. But is sounds more "marshally" to me - in a very good way.  

The mercury output tranny one was coupled with a pair of the ceramic weber sigs - they handle more wattage, are very efficient, and deliver more punch. They are killer and you can't touch them in that price range. I would also recommend the celestion combination I did, or the weber speakers that are similar to those. It really depends on the sound you are seeking and choose the speakers that will get you there. The new eminence line evidently is good from what I have heard on this group.  

If you do build it, let us know how you like it. If you want to tweak it I might or someone else might have some excellent suggestions.  

Thorny

Page 1 of 1