ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Solder for vintage tweed Fender Deluxe

3/21/2005 11:29 AM
TT Solder for vintage tweed Fender Deluxe
Hi, I'm going to get a 5E3 project started in a few month.  
Which kind of solder do you think best for exact vintage 5E3 tone?  
If possible, please explain how old and what type of mixture it is.  

TT

3/21/2005 7:11 PM
Steve A.
email

TT pondered:  

Which kind of solder do you think best for exact vintage 5E3 tone?  

It was recently discovered that the old Fender factory did not use solder in assembling their amps, but encouraged the workers to use their own hair for all of the joints. If you have looked at old pictures from the Fender factory you may have noticed that most of the workers are bald (even the women!)  

Steve Ahola

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

3/21/2005 8:26 PM
vince
email

...Steve's having too much fun!,,, which is whole point of forums in general. But seriously, You'll find 'solders' and various mixtures of lead/tin/silver? the least rewarding of the (many) changes that can be made/done with a 5e3 circuit. Anything that (melts)... holds together after major abuse of being knocked around (for many yrs.) And still 'creates sound'... is an amazing thing... even after going bald (almost) in process. (see 'smily face')

3/22/2005 4:56 AM
TT
Steve, that's a good one.  
Vince, thanks.  

I know that it's a pro's business to show their skill.  
I would like to hear sunday builder's opinion instead.  

uuhhmmm...

3/22/2005 8:34 AM
Erwin
Buncha pranksters here.  

;^)  

Any old 60/40 rosin core solder will be fine. Just do NOT use acid core solder meant for plumbing work.  

Unless of course you're into acid rock!  

8^)  

The first person that says they can hear a difference in solder is going to get a virtual dope slap.  

Erwin

3/22/2005 8:00 AM
Chris@CMWamps
email

it's not the solder, it's the paint  

:D  

couldn't resist...  

Chris

3/22/2005 9:49 AM
MBSetzer
email

I'm afraid in today's world that just any 60/40 solder will not be as good as the original material.  

The standard rosin core 60/40 in one pound reels for hand soldering that was available from numerous equivalent factories and retail sources back in the '60's appears to be considered a premium material now and the only sure way I know of to get it is to use Kester 44 brand.  

Generic 60/40 solders today, especially from retail outlets like independent electronic shops or Radio Shack are overwhelmingly extremely poor grade materials by comparison, so much so that every joint is visibly inferior, and sometimes gasp even audibly poorer. Quality has declined noticeably and rapidly each year for the last few years, I imagine that Taiwanese PCB factories are having their waste recycled into the form of hand soldering reels without reprocessing the alloy to remove impurities, plus many times the flux is not rosin, and when it is its not the high quality we are accustomed to from Kester, and from Multicore before they closed their solder plant here. Although, notwithstanding my imagination it could be engineered to extreme low quality for some other reason :-\  

There are so few electronic assembly operations remaining where hand soldering is done to products which are intended not to be disposable, Multicore must have simply needed to concentrate on machine solders to stay in business.  

So all we have left is Kester as far as I know, maybe someone else who is very familiar with the Kester 44 can point out an equivalent which is still available, it would be good to have alternate sources.  

Mike

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>