ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Bassman vs. Super?

2/21/2005 8:10 PM
Gord Bassman vs. Super?
Hi,  

I have a few amps I put together from kits, and my favorite for playing in a loud band is the 5F6a Bassman replica I have. My one complaint is that it's a bit too loud and quite heavy to carry around. I was thinking of putting together another kit that's a little lower in power, smaller, and still retains a lot of the Bassman sound which I love.  

The one amp that comes to mind is the 5F4 tweed Super. Am I right?  

How does a tweed Super sound compared to a tweed Bassman? Do the clean sounds have a similar character? What about when overdriven?  

(Another amp I am considering is an older Pro circuit, the one that is like a tweed Deluxe, but with 6L6s and a larger power transformer. I can make that in a tiny 1x12 version).  

Thanks,  
Gord

2/21/2005 8:45 PM
Matt H
if you dig the vibe of the bassman, have you tried subbing in some ballsy 6v6's? (like the new JJ ones?) you'd have to rebias (possibly change the range resistor) but that doesn't seem too extreme to me.

Saturday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

2/21/2005 9:10 PM
Gord
I'd still want an amp that's physically smaller.

2/22/2005 10:16 AM
Bruce /Mission Amps
email
5F4/5E5A Great all around tweed amps
The 5F4 is very similar sounding to the 5E6 Bassman but lower powered and with only two 10" speakers.  
The same amp with a slightly taller 15" cabinet and speaker is the Pro 5E5A... great amp too.  

A 5F4 using a GZ34 with the right power and output trannys will hit about 34-36 watts.  
With a 5U4GB and a pair of small bottle black plate TAD 6L6s, it does any easy 22-24 watts.  
With JJ6V6s and a 5V4GT rectifier, mine does about 18 watts.  
That means with a few tube swaps and bias adjustment, you can go from around 18w to <36 watts in the same amp.  
A great middle sized/power amp with a pair of WeberVST P10RTs installed. VERY versatile and light.  
For the most part, the 5E6 Bassman was the same amp as the 5F4/5E5A but with a bigger output tranny, two 5U4 rerctifiers and bigger cabinet.  

Bruce

2/22/2005 3:40 PM
Gord
Bruce,  

Thanks for your help. I just don't know what a 5E6 Bassman sounds like! I've never played one. I believe you regarding how versatile a 5F4 can be, and I think that once I get the funds, I'll put one together. I have WeberVST P10Qs in my Bassman and I like those. How are the P10RTs different?  

Here's a question. If I wanted my 5E3 to have more clean headroom, would a 5AR4 and 6L6s do it for me? How can I expect the wattage to change?  

Thanks,  
Gord

2/22/2005 3:49 PM
Bruce /Mission Amps
email

The only way to do it right with the 6L6s is to use a WeberVST Copper Cap WV4 rectifier, replace the smallish 5E3 OT, use a good 25 watter at 4000 ohms then replace the 5000 ohm screen dropping node resistor with a 2k2-2k7.  

Bruce

2/22/2005 5:12 PM
Greg Simon
email
quick question Bruce??
Bruce, quick question for you regarding the 5E5 circuit? I noticed it has a split-load 12ax7 inverter. How much of a difference does that make in the sound compared to the LTP in the 5F6a, and how does it change it when overdriving the amp?  

I've been working on my brother's Silvertone 1484 and it sounds good with a slightly modded preamp setup, (a little more gain and voltage basically)but I am thinking I don't like the sound of the 6CG7/6FQ7 split-load and was thinking of changing to the 5E5 setup. I also don't like the sound of the 340 screen, and was going to raise that to around the plate voltage, and then use some JJ 6V6's to get the power down and not blow that small OT they use. Does this sound like a workable plan to you?  
greg

Page 1 of 6 Next> Last Page>>