ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Which Kit to pick?

12/19/2004 9:52 AM
Ralph
email
Which Kit to pick?
Ive been looking into building myself a 5e3. I need a good pratice amp, my orange solid state is to quiet and my 4X12 is way too big. The Tweed Deluxe seemes perfect, now I just have to decide which kit to buy. They all seem to have their ups and downs. Ive picked out three that look pretty good:  

1: Weber VST Kit  
Pros: Best price out of all of the kits: 450$  
Cons: alot of drilling is required, and drilling just doesent work out with me.  

2: Mission Amps Kit  
Pros: Parts quality seems to be the best out of all of the kits.  
Cons: It adds up to alot with cab and speaker:  
700$.  

3: Tubegarden Kit  
Pros: falls in the middle between the weber and mission amp kits: 530$  
Cons: I would need to laquer the cabinet myself, which is no big deal

12/19/2004 11:54 AM
Anonymous
Why not a Clark?

Thursday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

12/19/2004 6:30 PM
Cathode Follower Re: Why not a Clark?
"Why not a Clark?"  

I think he said he was looking to buy a KIT. As far as I know, Clark doesn't sell his amps in kit form.  
CF

1/21/2005 8:52 PM
Gord
I bought three kits from Mike Clark- 5F1, 5E3 and 5F6a. He is the most expensive guy around, but the parts he uses cost mucho $$$$$, and he needs time to get your kit ready (cabinet, etc...). Whether it's worth it or not depends on what's important to you. I love all three of my amps and am glad I did what I did. My all 'round fave is the 5E3 with the Tone Tubby H1E-DD.  

GB

1/22/2005 11:27 AM
Bruce /Mission Amps
email

I've retubed and repaired a few Clark products and they are also excellent amps built with high quality parts.  
Bruce

12/19/2004 12:12 PM
David P.
email
Re: Which Kit to pick? FWIW...
If this is your first build then I STRONGLY recommend Bruce's Mission kit. Everything is quality material, things all line up, and he gives unlimited tech support. The latter is worth the difference!!

12/19/2004 1:25 PM
Ralph
email

Ive built and modded a few amps before, and i pretty confidnet with this one. Im leaning towards either Mission or Tubegarden.

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>