ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

New Build Complete -- odd voltages, but OK

11/5/2004 7:27 PM
Bob Arbogast New Build Complete -- odd voltages, but OK
I just finished a new 5E3 build. I used a Mercury Magnetics "lower B+" power transformer. I was told -- if I heard correctly -- that the voltage difference was about 30Vac. After I installed the PT and fired up the amp, I noticed quite low DC voltages: 295V on the 6V6 plates. Then I looked at the PT diagram: it's not 30Vac difference; more like 90V. D'oh! The amp was not very loud at all.  

Anyhow, I subbed in a GZ34 for the 5Y3, and now have 334V on the plates, 19.5V on the cathodes, and an idle dissipation of about 10.5W per bottle. The amp sounds really good. It's nice not to have to worry about burning up my old Webcor-branded blackplates. Too bad I just bought some spare 5Y3's.  

Bob Arbogast

11/6/2004 9:08 AM
tubegarden
email

Hi Bob,  
I use these in my kits. I end up with 340 at pin 8 on the rectifier, with a NOS 5Y3... I wonder if you have a bad one for some reason....  

dan

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

11/6/2004 9:47 AM
Bob Arbogast
Dan,  

I tried two different NOS 5Y3's, one a JAN, one an old production USA, with the same results. And, of course, the GZ34 yields 334V on the plates. Perhaps there is something else going on -- but the amp does sound great. What are you seeing for AC input to the rectifier?  

If there are no problems, then I'm just looking at an amp with three distinct options: 5Y3 for low power, GZ34 for medium power, and solid state plug-in for "high" power.  

Bob

11/7/2004 7:25 PM
tubegarden
email

I don't have one in the shop to measure, Bob... sorry.. the things sell as fast as I can make them...  

dan

Page 1 of 1