ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Big question on investment

10/26/2004 3:57 PM
Jake Big question on investment
Hi, I am considering buying a couple mullard  
12ax7 for my tweed deluxe to see what all  
the hipe is about. Any input would be appreciatted.  
Thanks  
jake

10/26/2004 7:41 PM
P Howard
email

I think you hit it on the nailhead when you used the word HYPE.  

There is a particular tone that these tubes give. Is it worth the $$$? I don't think so. I have a couple of Mullard 12AX7's and they sound great, however I don't think they are SO SUPERIOR that I have to have them in all my amps. In fact I find that they don't have the magic in every circuit.  

Bottom line in MHO is that you'd be much better off taking the big bucks you're going to spend and try some of the cool stuff that's out there.  

In reality there are some cool tubes being made today albeit different sounding than the Mullard. Also one of the things that I've done over the years is to find and buy USED pre-amp tubes for as cheap as possible and of course you'll get a wasted one or two but usually there's lots of life left in 'em and I've scored some really great sounding tubes this way.  

Just my .02  

MrTubetone

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

10/26/2004 10:02 PM
Carl Gigun
email

I've got a couple mullards, not worth the money in my opinion.  

-Carl

10/27/2004 3:04 AM
sekt88
email

every single Telefunken or mullard preamp tube I bought new ( only 2 of each) sounded no better than the used ones I pulled from old radios.( 50 or so)

10/27/2004 8:07 AM
Nate Rudy
email

I heard that the Mullard and Tele tubes were brighter than others (maybe a bit less grainy, too) which helped alot back when carbon comp resistors and other low-tolerance components made circuits sound darker. With modern components sounding less murky, the benefits of these brighter tubes are lost.  

I really like the JJ 12AX7 and the 12AX7EH, but I have not had much experience with any other 12AX7 tubes, other than Russian and Chinese varieties.

10/28/2004 4:03 PM
Chuck_E
The Mullard I have (cv4004) is the milltary grade 12AX7 and may not be worth the cost they fetch today, but I got mine free..another story. Anyway, in my 5E3 clone the tone changes are not worth mentioning. However in my 63 Tweed Champ I have found nothing that compares to the the sweet harmonics this tube can pruduce at any volume.

10/28/2004 7:23 PM
steve
email

Also, don't rule out dumpster diving. I found an old Fisher tube amp in the trash that had 8 Fisher-labled Mullard 12AX7s in it. All worked perfectly.  

Steve

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>