ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Copper Rectifier Tube -- Anybody tried 'em?

7/4/2004 10:57 AM
jayman
email
Copper Rectifier Tube -- Anybody tried 'em?
Looks like I'm in the market for a rectifier tube for my Mission Amps 5E3. Anybody found a really great sound out of the Weber copper top replacements? Original rec. tube was 5Y3.  

I was thinking about these. Bruce? Anybody? You've probably experimented. What's a great sound if you don't recommend these? I like mods that make the amp be under less strain in general so I don't want anything that's going to make the OT or power tubes really groan, in general. Want my 5E3 to still be going a couple hundred years from now.  
Thanks for info on trial and error, research and develpment. I'm too poor to buy and try.  
Jay

7/4/2004 11:23 AM
ted m
email

I've got one of all of them, they work and sound great. With my set, and they may have been an early run, the 5y3, and 5v4 behave the same as a NOS 5Y3GT (at idle), the 5U4 ups the B+ slightly.

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

7/4/2004 12:34 PM
jayman
email

Do you have a Mission Amps 5E3 clone? Bruce said he's got a heartier output tranny in his kit and not to use a GZ34 or 5AR4 in his circuit. So, I'm going to steer clear, but the copper cap Weber 5Y3 solid-state substitute tube sounds like a strong candidate. I think it's the way to go.  

Thanks again for all your help, though.  
Jay

7/4/2004 12:50 PM
ted m
email

Hi Jay,  
No, I have 1957 and 1958 originals, and a modified Hoffman from ~ 1998 so I don't have Bruce's exact trannies. If I were building a kit today, I would get a Mission Tweedy though.

7/4/2004 1:21 PM
jayman
email

I certainly love mine...don't know what to compare it with, next to a real one or somebody else's clone, but I think it pretty well is superb, based on the feedback most people give.

7/5/2004 7:15 PM
Daz
email

I have a WV4 Copper Cap in my Mission 5E3 clone, which is equivalent to a 5V4 rectifier tube. I run 6L6s and have the zener diode switched out, so I went with a slightly stiffer 'rectifier'. I also have recently built a Marshall 18 watt clone, and I have a Copper Cap in that, too (it's a WCA4).  

I like the idea of a rectifier that acts like a tube, but is relaible as all hell and lightens the load on the PT slightly. Easy "mod" to undo, too.

7/6/2004 3:54 AM
jayman
email

I like mods that let the amp run easier, so thanks for the input. How do you like your Marshall clone? Is it a Bluesbreaker clone? I've personally never owned a Marshall but they can sure put out some rompin' sound in a live show scene, and can best you in a hurry if you don't have your amp tight.

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>