ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

coupling magnet to adjustable polepieces

5/6/2004 6:39 AM
hewo
email
coupling magnet to adjustable polepieces
in the typical p90 construction, the two wafer alnico magnets are coupled to the adjustable screws via an intermediary steel piece through which the six screws penetrate. this intermediary piece is precision machined and serves mainly to enhance transmission of the magnet flux into the screws.  

my question is if this intermediary steel piece were not present, would the performance result be indistinguishable?  

i ask this because i have another p90 whose wafer magnets directly contact the six screw polepieces. of course the magnets contact the screws merely at a tangent (in comparison to 360 degrees if using the intermediary steel piece).  

does anyone have suggestions which way is better, if any?

5/6/2004 1:34 PM
Sheldon Dingwall
email

I can't comment on this directly, but I questioned the relationship between the amount of surface contact and how much force gets transfered. Rudimentary tests couldn't detect a difference between pin-point and larger surface area contact between the magnet and pole.

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

5/6/2004 2:08 PM
Andy C
email

Not sure what you mean in the last part of your post about "meeting at a tangent" and "360" degrees.  

The pole screws are vertical through the coil, and the magnets are flat under the coil. I reckon this should be a 90' angle.  

Do you mean what it the difference with or without the metal spacer between the magnets??  

Why not just take it off and listen??

5/6/2004 3:32 PM
Fred Hammon
email

We have discussed using steel extra steel in pickups before. It started out as a discussion around the steel plates in tele pickups I think. The steel should indeed make the pickup sound different if there is enough of it. My guess would be "brighter". The pickup I'm making has eight steel, insulated laminations in it... like in an electric motor, between the magnets and pole pieces.  
There is a lot of physics happening there and I wish I understood it better.

5/6/2004 5:01 PM
Fred Hammon
email

Here is a cad drawing I did of my pickup. One of the magnets was removed to show the steel lamination stack (light blue color)  

http://a0.cpimg.com/image/BA/B3/31733690-8428-0200010D-.jpg

5/7/2004 12:47 AM
hewo
email

meeting the tangent means both alnico wafers edging contacts the polepiece screws at a point tangent on their shafting threading.  

360 drgrees means the intermediary steel piece surrounds the polepiece screw threading 360 degrees.  

yes, i mean what is the difference with or without the intermediary steel piece being installed.  

two different pickups are involved, one with, the other without. i can't make out any audible difference. the scope definitely does show a difference though.

5/7/2004 1:23 AM
Dr. Strangelove
hewo wrote:
quote:
"yes, i mean what is the difference with or without the intermediary steel piece being installed."
With the steel, there is more output and a more dynamic sound that can become harsh if you aren't careful.  

The steel piece is a better magnetic conductor than an air gap so you deliver more magnetic energy to the guitar strings at the expense of a slightly higher "work load" on the magnets.  

Dimarzio actually patented the use of a controlled gap between magnets and screw poles although I think it was for PAF style humbuckers. Apparently, the air gap doesn't need to be large, only .003" to .005", about the thickness of a dollar bill or sheet of 20 weight paper.  

It's all there at the US Patent & Trademark Office site if you have the time/patience/desire to dig through it.  

-drh  
--

Page 1 of 6 Next> Last Page>>