ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Why doesn't somebody make a 9-inch or 13.5-inch speaker?

10/8/2004 11:49 PM
Boy Howdy Why doesn't somebody make a 9-inch or 13.5-inch speaker?
I bet somebody will do this someday. There's a big difference between 10s and 12s, and between 12s and 15s. Why hasn't somebody done this already?  

Why are musicians so set in their ways? Why do we not demand more innovation?

10/8/2004 11:52 PM
Boy Howdy
I'm listening to the radio ... I meant 11-inch speaker, not a 9-inch speaker. And I'm talking about guitar speakers.

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

10/9/2004 11:36 AM
Neal
email

I wonder what a 10" x 12" oval guitar speaker would sound like?

10/9/2004 12:03 AM
bob p
i wish EV still made the EVM 30W. :D

10/9/2004 4:04 PM
Conehead
Ask Ted?

10/11/2004 4:24 AM
Ross M.
email

Does Ted have the capability to stamp his own baskets? I assumed he bought them.  

There really isn't much to a speaker, the innovation and differences usually come from the materials and adhesives used in them. NdFeB magnets are one of the coolest mods. Would be interesting to see an 11" or 13.5" though.

10/11/2004 6:39 PM
Boy Howdy Why doesn't somebody make a 11-inch or 13.5-inch speaker?
An 11 incher could easily be configured to fit in a standard 12-inch speaker route.  

I bet steel players in particular would love a 13.5 incher.  

I'd like to try a cab with both sizes installed, say 1 or 2 - 13.5s and 2 - 11s.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>