ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Problem with Traynor YGM-4 :-(

8/13/2004 8:29 PM
Joe Problem with Traynor YGM-4 :-(
I just bought this amp at the pawnshop, it's a 2xEL84 combo and I tought it was pretty cool. But the sound was horrible. I tought it would only be a tube but finally not. If you play really soft, the sound is steady but if you dig hard, you hear horrible slack fuzz. I am using other speakers, changed all preamp tubes, the EL84's are Sovteks date 1999 so I tought they were ok. One thing I noticed is one of them, the metal casing behind the glass is glowing orange so much it's hot. I switched the tubes and it's still doing it on the same EL84. Is the tube bad or the amp ? Also I changed most of the filter caps.

8/13/2004 8:42 PM
Joe
Schematic right here: http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~dace/vb/traynor_guitarmate_ygm3.pdf

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

8/13/2004 11:35 PM
Enzo
email

Joe, if one of the power tubes is glowing red got inside - what some call "red plating" - it could be the tube itself or the amp. If the same tube does it no matter which socket it is in, then the tube is bad. If it did it in only one socket no matter which tube was installed, then it would be an amp problem.  

No doubt it sounds bad with one of its power tubes melting.  

1999? Would you think guitar strings from 1999 would still be good? Those are ancient tubes, you owe yourself a new pair of them.

8/14/2004 12:47 AM
Joe
Ok thank you Enzo, it's the tube doing it, in either socket so I'll order some. Which of these should I take ? The EI EL84EG looks like a good choice... I want a fat clean sound.  
http://www.thetubestore.com/el846bq5types.html

8/14/2004 5:27 AM
Enzo
email

If you buy EI tubes, please buy them from a vendor who will warranty them. My experience with the EIs is that I almost always get a bad one - or more - in each batch. I have yet to successfully buy a matched quad of them that didn't have to be replaced. I refuse to buy EI tubes. But that is just me, maybe someone else had had better experiences with them.  

Otherwise the JJs and the Sovteks are good tubes. The EL84M is a bit more sturdy than the other versions in my view. I buy mostly JJs, but I keep both brands in stock because I have customers who prefer each.  

Buy from a reliable vendor in any case.

Page 1 of 1