ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

5AR4 in tweed Champ?

6/29/2004 1:56 AM
Joe
email
5AR4 in tweed Champ?
Can I use a 5AR4 or GZ34 in a Tweed Champ 5F1-- if so what do I need to do?

6/29/2004 10:58 PM
SpeedRacer
1 - why do you want to? 5Y3 is more than adequate for what needs to be done. If you need headroom run an extension cabinet, 4 ohms is fine.  

2 - only tech issue OTTOMH is heater current will be higher in the 5AR4 so you may strain the stock PT. You can keep tabs on the PT by touching it. If if starts becoming uncomfortably warm, you need to go back to the 5Y3.  

jm2c  
icbw  
ymmv  
and the usual disclaimers apply.  
;)

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

6/30/2004 12:13 AM
Bruce /Mission Amps
email

quote:
"Can I use a 5AR4 or GZ34 in a Tweed Champ 5F1-- if so what do I need to do?"
NO don't do that, but if you do:  
1.) Buy more power tubes so you'll have them when the others wear out in short order.  
2.) Keep a couple extra 3-4 watt output trannys around so you'll have extras when they blow up.  
3.) Learn to enjoy the sound of a poor sounding class A amp with way too much high voltage on the preamp tubes and the power tubes.  
Or... just stick with the 5Y3 and enjoy classic class A tone with relatively long tube life.  
Bruce

Page 1 of 1