ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Can I Change the Cathode Bias Cap Value?

4/5/2004 3:41 PM
Don
email
Can I Change the Cathode Bias Cap Value?
What would happen if I used a 25mfd-25V electrolytic capacitor instead of the existing bad 20mfd-25V cap across the 140-ohm cathode resistor coming off the 7591A power tubes in my '65 Ampeg Rocket 2? Would it affect bias in any way?

4/5/2004 6:24 PM
Craig
In my experience, changing the cathode bypass cap in a cathode-baised output stage from 20uf to 25uf will not bring about a noticable change in tone or frequency response.  

That said, in my experience, replacing an old electrolytic cathode bypass cap with a fresh one has positive effects on tone and frequency response. I notice fuller tone, stronger lows and mids, and clearer highs. It's a bit like removing a pillow from in front of a speaker.  

Changing uf values for this cap *can* cause noticable changes in tone and frequency response, but in my experience, the difference in uf value needs to be greater for it to be noticable.  

If you replaced the 20uf with 5 uf, you'd probably notice a lot less low end.  

Re: whether or not it will affect bias in any way - yes it will, but not drastically in the case you describe (20uf > 25uf). Anything greater than 22uf is not going to improve bass response much more anyway, so you're already operating within a very good-for-guitar frequency response range witht eh 20uf.  

But that 20uf cap is probably original and therefore not functioning at optimal performance anymore, so replacing it with a fresh one of similar value will only make the amp sound better, IMO.  

Hope this helps,  
Craig

Saturday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

4/8/2004 5:23 PM
Don
email

Thanks Craig. That was a lot of great info. My follow up question is this:  
In general terms, how does a change in cap value affect bias? I've changed bias by playing with resistor values, but I don't understand how cap value changes affect bias.

4/8/2004 10:22 PM
Craig
Try this: measure cathode voltage with the cap, then without. See if you notice any change in voltage.  

Craig

4/8/2004 10:34 PM
Craig
I got a little more ambitious and did a google search on "Cathode bias" and came up with some good references for you (and me!)  

http://www.tpub.com/content/neets/14178/css/14178_42.htm  

http://www.tubecad.com/articles_2003/Grounded_Cathode_Amplifier/page3.html  

http://www.decware.com/forums/Zen_Triode/posts/1365.html  

Hope these help,  
Craig

4/9/2004 5:21 PM
Don
email

Thanks Craig. That explained it. I really appreciate the links. Don

4/8/2004 11:28 PM
Enzo
email

Changing the cap won't affect bias, but it will affect frequency response.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>