ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Superlead pre in a JTM45

2/13/2004 4:57 PM
PeteB
email
Superlead pre in a JTM45
Anyone tried to mod a JTM front end into a more Superlead type circuit? Any info out there on doing this? I`ve got a Bluesbreaker reissue with a Mercury Magnetics OPT running KT66`s, but I`m interested in getting more of a Plexi style gain with the smooth power section of the JTM45. I`ve done the mods on Ted Breaux`s page, but I`m just wanting to tinker with something different. Thanks!

2/17/2004 4:43 PM
SpeedRacer
They are basically the same amp with different R&C values already (I know some know-it-all will nickel & dime me on some split hair, but look at the schemo yourself! :) ) You can change whatever you like really.. drop the coupling caps to .02, add the .68uF cap to the cathode circuit on the 2nd stage, etc etc. Just have fun with it! :)  

JM2C - make one change at a time and spend time listening afterwards to understand what happened - was this the right direction or wrong? etc.. If possible, put the change on a switch of some sort so you can go from "before" to "after" - and back!! I use R/C sub boxes for this.

Thursday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

2/18/2004 12:05 AM
PeteB
Thanks for the help, but the schematics I`m getting from www.schematicheaven.com appear to have a much different layout between the two that I`m having trouble understanding. Could someone direct me to an idiots guide to doing this...hehehe Thanks for your help in advance.

Page 1 of 1