ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

fender blackface showman

10/23/2004 4:51 AM
Andy
email
fender blackface showman
just picked up a fender blackface showman tonight, and I'm not sure what to think of it. it's pretty clear that it's been modified (no eyelet board, etc.) although I suppose it's possible that fender could have made one that way. I'm thinking of gutting it and makeing some kind of channel switching amp from it. probably a blackface clean channel with an AX84 hi-octane dirty channel, and 6L6 output for about 100W. all of this depends, of course, on whether the trannys are good.

10/23/2004 8:23 PM
bd
email

Somebody hacked it....have fun with it. You are taking about a loud amp at 100 watts. I would think about going with a pair of output tubes and be able to switch between 6L6GC, EL-34 or KT-66 tubes. If you need a new PT Allen makes some great Fender type stuff and I really like the little bit of sag with a GZ-34 rec tube. I have a hacked 63 showman I am making into a 2-12 combo. It seems like 40-50 is more than enough these days. I have never been able to use an amp even that loud for the last 20 years, if it was a bigger gig I ended up going through the sound system. Even if you go with the 2 power tubes you can still use the OT for 8 ohms. How about a 4-10 combo?

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

10/24/2004 7:47 AM
Andy
email

I could also go with 4x6L6 class A for about 45W, and it would sound really sweet. I suppose I could even make it selectable between 2x6L6 and 2xEL34, like the mesa road king. but I certainly want a really nice clean channel, and a good hi-gain channel (I like to play a lot of metal/hard rock). 3 channels would probably be a bit of overkill. as for the speakers, I really like the way my 4x12 celestion cab sounds, so I'll probably build or buy another one to go with the head.

10/24/2004 9:51 AM
Satamax
email

Hi everybody!  

Andy, there's an another trick i've been thinking about for a long time! Make two dummy tubes! That means, that you have two separate bias taps (i don't know how to implement that, a litle choke between the two or something), to avoid signal leaking from one pair to the other, and a signal switch, switching the signal off from the pair you don't need! But you still have the load of thoses tubes on the PT!Clever huh?  

Best regards.  

Max.

10/25/2004 11:41 PM
Rick Erickson
email

quote:
"But you still have the load of thoses tubes on the PT!Clever huh?"

Why not just add a resistor from the power supply to ground that draws the same amount of current as the tubes did, wouldn't that do the same thing?  

RE

10/26/2004 9:31 PM
Satamax
email

Hi Rick!  

Well, i don't know, my trick was meant to keep all four or six power tubes of an amp, and be able to use them when needed! If not, i'd forget about the resistor, and either change the tranny, or double it's load!  

Best regards.  

Max.

Page 1 of 1