ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Fender mods

9/18/2004 7:14 AM
Danny Michel
email
Fender mods
OK, I have a BF Bandmaster that I converted the trem circuit to bias-vary in. I used the Tremolux schematic that uses the cathode follower. I've been told that this cathode follower reduces intensity of the trem, is this true??? Should I have copied the brown Deluxe/Princeton trem? I love the trem on my Bronco(VChamp), Would this circuit sound the same w/ PP output tubes?  

another topic-  
Has anyone converted a BF Bassman bass channel to 5F6-A specs, or close to it? If you have, how did it sound? I've thought of possibly using a 12DW7 to get closer to the 12AY7 in the tweed, has anyone tried this? Is the cathode follower in the tweed bassman part of THE sound? Does the 12AT7 PI get in the way of the tweed sound?? Please give some opinions on tweedifying BF amps and the sound....

9/18/2004 1:56 PM
SpeedRacer
1 - tweeding the BF amps works great. Used to be my #1 mod back in the day.. turning $300 BF bassman heads into rock machines. Don't bother trying to emulate a 12AY7.. no one used them.. just drop in a 12AX7 and rock on. The CF is key, don't skip it. Lose the 12AT7 as well. Build it the way it was meant to be built and ye shall find salvation. Amen. ;) The stock transformers are fine for this. Put the presence knob in the spare speaker hole (ext cabinet jack)  

2 - use the trem circuit from the vibroverb, tremolux ought to work too. key is that your trem circuit is scaled for the bias voltage in use. A Champ circuit is not going to be too cool on a pair of 6L6's biased at -50V.. Yes, it sounds wonderful in the bigger P-P amps. It also lays out in the stock eyelets if you play with it a little. (no surgery required)

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

9/18/2004 8:33 PM
Danny Michel
email

"It also lays out in the stock eyelets if you play with it a little. (no surgery required)"  

Yeah, I already have the vibroverb/tremolux style trem in there... it lays out very easy in the stock eyelets  

I was just wondering if the single triode trem like the brown deluxe and all princetons was more intense than the vibroverb... I want it to sound like my VChamp....

9/18/2004 8:56 PM
Chris @ CMW amps
email

Hi Danny  

Just for fun I did use a VC-trem in a modded BMR ( modulating the 3rd pre-amp-stage ). It's also very groovy but you do lose some volume using this method if the trem is activated. The amp is a late 70s one with rewired/blackfaced OT/powersupply and the needed colder biasing made this amp a bit too hars to my ears using the stock OT.  

just mho!!! but it's a cool thing,  

Chris

9/18/2004 9:04 PM
Danny Michel
email

my Bandmaster has a tweed bassman OT in it...

9/18/2004 7:23 PM
Chris @ CMW amps
email

Hi Danny  

Joe ( Speedracer ) did make some cool suggestions.  

Besides changing the 470k resistor to 220k before the int.pot the 6G16 style trem does work greatly in Bandmasters and TwinReverbs.  

Hope this helps/have fun tweaking!  

Chris

9/18/2004 8:42 PM
Danny Michel
email

Chris, I started with the 220K resistor, I changed to 100K for more intensity, is this a good way to acheive it?  

Speedracer, I was wanting to keep a good Blackface tone on the normal channel.... would changing the PI to a 12AX7 ruin the normal channel's sound? how would the volume of the channels compare???

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>