ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Amp-building courses

6/29/2004 8:20 AM
Andrew C.
email
Amp-building courses
Hi all,  

Does anyone here know of any tube amp building courses or tuition available? So many luthiery classes available now but amp building?  

Very interested in making my own tube amps, but also totally inexperienced. I know there is plenty of advice on the Internet so no need to rehash it here. Read, try, be safe, experiment, read more, build a kit, etc. etc. Just looking for info on classes.  

Many thanks  

Andrew

6/29/2004 1:03 PM
jollynator
email

andrew, i just got into this amp building thing about a year and a half ago. and i am not the sharpest tool in the shed either. if i can learn this stuff, you can too. a wise man (i think it was chris @ cmw amps)told me to just jump in. start with the ax84.com p1 project. simple and a good sounding amp. if you start with this one, you will learn more than you can learn in some type of theory class! what ever questions you might have, ask them here. everyone here is patient with newbies and friendly (except anonymoose), and very willing to share info and experience. why reinvent the wheel when you can talk to the guy that did!  
and to answer your q, the only classes i think you will need is some general electronics.  

hey man this stuff is like nike! just do it!  
my 2 cents worth. good luck! jon

Saturday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

6/30/2004 12:26 PM
Chris - CMW amps
email

Hi Jon  

"a wise man (i think it was chris @ cmw amps)told me to just jump in."  

1st time in my life someone calls me a wise man so it must be another guy :D , thanks for your kind words !  

Trace Allen from http://www.VoodooAmps.com told me to "just do it" when visiting him and not being afraid to make mistakes and spending hours/weeks/months/years on tweaks & designs .  

I did and still do reinvent the wheel from time to time but you do gain more hands on experience and it also "proves" that you can come up with excellent ideas .  

About sharing certain ideas/etc. :  
that's a difficult thing :D . If people do have a really unique design and make a living with it then it would spoil their business very badly by putting that info on the www . Bigger amp-companies have people monitoring BBSs fulltime to cut designer-costs and they're always able to produce amplifiers way cheaper then the small amp-builder/designer can do .  

Anyway : amp-building/tweaking is very addictive ( ha ha ) and I'm so glad with Ampage 'cause everbody is willing to help each other . Besides that I've also met some cool Ampagers IRL or by telephone conversations , right now I can't imagine a world without the internet anymore :)  

My 2 €-cents , keep on rockin' and building !  

Chris  

Ps $100 for a two day (Ch)amp-course by a very good and experienced amp-tech is a bargain ! Sometimes people do need a little more then "just" the www , afaik Kevin O' C did give some courses in Scandinavia . Hope "6-10" can comment on that .

6/30/2004 4:14 PM
jollynator
email

Chris, maybe i was a little general about the whole conversation. for that i apologize. what i meant was, in my part of the world (south georgia, usa) the seminar thing just wouldnt happen. 15 people in my home town have seen a vacuum tube and 14 of them dont know what they are. the seminar is a great idea. i think it would be easier to just call me on the phone and talk, cause around here, me and you would be the only two people there anyway. it really is a shame though, i would love to go to one. but what i meant about the sharing of ideas was, i've learned so much by listening the the crosstalk on this forum it aint even funny. whether it was helpin someone to find hum somewhere or the best way to insert a master volume. not about unique ideas. ones own ideas is what creates what everyone calls "the mojo". but if you were to come over here to do a seminar, i'm there dude!  

jon

7/1/2004 12:40 PM
Chris - CMW amps
email

Hi Jon  

Every time I do wanna visit the US I have to take a plane 'cause I'm located in the Netherlands .....  

My words about sharing was regarding very special circuits not about "common tricks" and known circuits .  

Chris  

Ps best liquid for way too hot weather : tea !

7/1/2004 8:19 PM
Bruce /Mission Amps
email

My friend Chris in class listening to an explanation of how a diode works. ;)  

Bruce

7/1/2004 9:09 PM
Chris - CMW amps
email

Nah , just looking at the other chick ..... what's a diode ? :D  

Chris - Love , peace and loudness :)

Page 1 of 6 Next> Last Page>>