ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Biasing a Marshall DSL50 amp

5/9/2004 2:07 AM
muletone
email
Biasing a Marshall DSL50 amp
Hello,  

I've got a JCM2000 DSL50 head that I need to re-bias. I own a Alessandro bias meter that has two sockets that plug into the amps power sockets and then the tubes on top of those.  

However, the DSL amp has a 3 prong deal with two little plastic screws to adjust the bias. Do I need a special guage or something? With the Alessandro in the sockets, I can't get the bias any higher than about 23ma on each side. That's max. It's doesn't seem right and it sounds terrible.  

Has anybody biased one of these amps?  

Thanks

5/10/2004 4:19 PM
PAULH
The center pin is ground and the outside pins are your test points (1 ohm resistors between cathodes and ground). Marshall sets them at 45mv which is to hot in my opinion. I set them for 37mv. If you can't get above 23ma, I'd say you've got something wrong i.e. bad tubes? Keep in mind these trim pots are backwards. To raise the idle current you turn the pots ccw

Saturday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

5/10/2004 10:48 PM
Enzo
email

SOmething else is going on in there.

5/11/2004 5:13 AM
muletone
I think I'll drop some new tubes in and try to bias them with a DC Volt meter like Paul said. If it doesn't work then, I'll take it to the shop.  

Thanks for the help.  

Muletone

Page 1 of 1