ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Electrolytic leads are too thick to fit through the PCB?

4/4/2004 7:43 PM
Nick
email
Electrolytic leads are too thick to fit through the PCB?
I'm recapping a vintage Orange head. I have nothing but Sprague Atoms for it. I came across a slight problem, however...  

The leads on the Atoms are just a tad too thick to fit through the holes drilled in the PCB.  

Anyone ever came across this? What should I do?  

I'd hate to order an entire new set of electrolytics and have the same exact problem. Any ideas guys?  

Thanks...  

-Nick

4/4/2004 9:06 PM
kg
enlarge holes on pcb.  

or  

flying leads to cap.  

ken

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

4/4/2004 9:14 PM
Don Symes
email
Re: Electrolytic leads are too thick to fit through the
quote:
"flying leads to cap."

Shortest, thickest possible flying leads. Secure cap tp board with something - HotGlue, Silicone adhesive, lacing cord - something.  

HTH!

4/4/2004 9:41 PM
Enzo
email
Re: Electrolytic leads are too thick to fit through the PCB?
Listen to kg's advice.  

Is it a single sided board? If so I would enlarge the holes in a heartbeat. Doublesided boards are often made with plate-through holes, meaning the sides of the holes are conductive to connect the top and bottom sides of the board together. Drilling out the holes destroys that.  

You local hobby store - and probably also craft stores - will have a selection of tiny drills. I keep some #62 and #56 drills on hand. Nothing special about those sizes, they just work out for my needs. The smallest drill bit you get in a set or at the hardware store is usually 1/16 - way too big. Get a drill just larger than you rleads. Take a sample cap into the hobby store to match sizez.

4/5/2004 12:05 AM
Nick
email

Thanks guys...I was worried about damaging the traces if I tried to enlarge the holes. The board is single sided, and of course, rather old. The amp is a '71.  

Am I going to risk ripping off through the traces right under the holes if I drill in there?  

Thanks again for the suggestions.  

-Nick

4/5/2004 1:06 AM
John Martin
email
Re: Electrolytic leads are too thick to fit through the
I have done this already. Use a sharp drill bit and don't force it. It will be fine.  

JM

4/25/2004 2:07 PM
jeremy
email
Re: Electrolytic leads are too thick to fit through the PCB?
drill from the bottom. shold lessen the chance of ripping the trace. good luck!!  
i personally like flying the leads in a situation such as this. that way, nothgin can happen. good luck!!  

jeremy

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>