ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

New GT 12AX7M (Mullard copy)

4/1/2004 6:53 PM
Pedro Vecino
email
New GT 12AX7M (Mullard copy)
Somebody has proven the new model Groove Tubes 12AX7M tubes based on old Mullard ECC83? Thank you very much

4/2/2004 12:25 PM
rooster
I wonder who built it? It doesn't look like a JJ, an EI, a winged-C, or a Sovtek, and definitely doesn't look Chinese. Hmmm.  

rooster.

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

4/3/2004 4:54 AM
Heiko Frost
It is Chinese. There is a 14 page thread on The Gear Page about it. It takes to a least page 14 until the dude who spams the hell out of GT fesses up to the fact that it is made in China. I have no problem where it is made if it is good but they went kind of far to hide this considering that it is $26 a tube.  

Frost

4/3/2004 3:53 PM
Ian Anderson
email

I've read stuff about these new GT Mullard ECC83 clones on a few websites and got the impression they were supposed to be US-made. I thought that $26 per tube was pretty reasonable for a US-made tube, but it turns out to be Chinese (should've known).  

I don't really care where it's made so long as it's a good sounding ECC83 - I'll get a couple once supplies become stable so I can pitch them up against my NOS stash :D  

... Ian :)

4/4/2004 3:49 PM
rooster
As long as I can get JAN's for $26 a tube (antique electronic supply), I'll stick with them for american. I just don't trust ANYTHING that GT says other than that their warranty is sound (which it is!). At the moment, though, my ears tell me that JJ is getting closer and closer to a great 12AX7, they seem to be getting better every year, and they don't use slave labor in their manufacturing, AND their country is not an enemy of democracy.  

rooster.

4/5/2004 5:54 AM
Steve A.
email
Antique Electronic Supply
rooster said:  

As long as I can get JAN's for $26 a tube (antique electronic supply), I'll stick with them for american.  

I just checked over there... are you referring to "T-12AX7A-RCA"? The price listed for me was $36.10. :(  

No picture was available for that tube... can you describe it more detail (like the markings)? I have a hunch it is some of the 12AX7WA's that RCA made in the mid-80's? If so they were great tubes and GT was selling them as their American 12AX7 for about $18 up until maybe 5 years ago. A great all-around tube and I'd pay $26 for more of them.  

I'd like to warn people about the "T-12AX7-A-US" listed for $18.95— these are the very bland Philips tubes that used to sell for about $10-12 apiece. Not a lot of character to them, but as I recall some of the lousier boutique amp builders were including them in their amps because they were "NOS". ;) I think most people would prefer the European or Russian 12AX7's...  

Steve Ahola

4/5/2004 8:40 PM
Ray Ivers
email
GE machines
Steve,  

According to Rick Benson (GT's #2 guy) the 12AX7-M, 6L6-GE, and 6CA7-GE tubes are all made with the original GE machines they got through a deal with Richardson Electronics back in the late 90's. Of the four 12AX7-M's I've got, one has the shiny 'blackplate' plate structure and the rest the more-common grey type, and all look like my Mullards inside (!); flattish plates with three horizontal ribs, two vertical slots on each side, small chrome tabs centered between the slots. The RCA's I have look similar without the chrome tabs, but my GE's have the 'Sylvania-type' narrower-center plates w/1 slot per side. The power tubes's guts look identical to the GE originals as well. They've all performed well for me, and these 12AX7's aren't microphonic at all.  

Ray

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>