ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

hughes and Kettner warp factor distortion any good?

5/4/2004 3:30 PM
Foshizzle hughes and Kettner warp factor distortion any good?
Hello ampagers,  
Can any one tell me if the H&K Warp factor pedal is any good? Im looking for a smooth hi gain distortion that gets the Marshall tone that EVH had on his first album. Not the muddy boss metal zone pedal that sounds horrible....  
Thanks  

Foshizzle

5/5/2004 10:36 AM
Luijo
email

Nope...if early EVH sound is what you are looking for,the Warp Factor won't do it.  
I don't mean it's a bad pedal,all the contrary,but it was designed for a whole different purpose.  
I happen to like it's sound,but it won't give you the "brown" sound.

Monday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

5/5/2004 1:39 PM
foshizzle What distortion pedal for the Marshall EVH sound?
Im looking for a new distortion pedal that will get that killer EVH first album sound, does any one know a pedal other than a boss metal zone that will get this sound?  

Nothing against the metal zone, I just don't like them.  

Fos.

5/17/2004 1:09 PM
Foshizzle
bump.....

5/18/2004 2:39 PM
Chris ( CMW amps )
email

there's a pedal called MrEd ( no kidding ) that can do it according to a review , did forget the brand but try some Googling  

hope this helps .  

Chris

5/21/2004 12:48 PM
Steve B.
I heard the sound clips and the pedal Mr Ed doesn't sound like the EVH sound. The reviews at Harmony Central are not that good too.  

I'm with foshizzle in looking for that elusive EVH tone. Ive found and old Ibanez pedal called the (distortion charger) that gets closer to the EVH sound than any other pedal Ive used. Maybe this will help foshizzleman.  

Steve B.

5/21/2004 2:09 PM
Mark Hammer
email

There is always Gus Smalley's BSIAB ("Brown Sound in a Box") design, which I believe has a layout/schematic at www.generalguitargadgets.com  

Joe Davisson's "Blackfire" design is as good a high-gain pedal as I've tried, although I couldn't say to what degree it nails the sound you're using as your benchmark.

Page 1 of 1