ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

the best "country" style compressor??

5/3/2003 8:36 PM
Andy
email
the best "country" style compressor??
What compressors do yo like the best and for what musical style

5/3/2003 9:37 PM
LFOscalator Re: the best "country" style compressor??
Country compressors are very clean and should have minimal artifacts after compressing.  

This month's GP magazine had a review of compressors and they picked the latest by DEMETER as their pick. From the looks of it, it would be a great country compressor because it compresses extremely clean without any sound of compression. I can't wait to try one.  

I have a Carl Martin compressor that is extremely clean as well. In the past it was a GP pick as well. Many country players used the MXR dyna-comp on many classic country recordings, so I'm sure it's useful for country as well.  

The Demeter compressor is an optical compressor that uses a circuit similar to the old Ureai LA-2's which are still revered today for their compression qualities. I noticed that many if not most top-end studio compressors use an optical compression circuit. This is why the Demeter stood out to me.  

I own an Avalon VT-737SP optical tube compressor which is fantastic and extremely natural. I can vouch for it as well. It's used by many people for vocals as as well as guitar.  

For studio work, I've been told that the DBX 160A is one of the most often used guitar compressors for people who prefer rack systems. It has lot's of options on it and can be made to sound natural as well as unnatural for some heavy metal sounds if that's your thing.  

LFO

Saturday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

5/4/2003 2:34 PM
Walt
Just bought the new EH BlackFinger tube compressor...absolutely great sound with BadCat,HiwattDR504,SF Twin,even with some old otherwise dull sounding Yamaha tranny amp.  

Round,warm, crispy sounds...just unbelievable.  

So give it a try.  

Walt

5/5/2003 1:00 AM
Randy
HI,  

I have an opto compressor and tried the new opto based black finger. Those are great for some things but don't cut it for the country style at all. For my country music, the compressor needs to be an EFFECT, that's why we use dynacomps and ross pedals.

5/5/2003 9:29 AM
Andy
email

Thanks for great info. I am thinking of dyna comp or if I get a hold of a ross (probably not) maybe a carl martin. Can I make a ri dyna comp true bypass? the switch is mounted in the PCB i guess

5/5/2003 3:43 PM
Stephen Giles
Are we saying here, one way or another, that Boss compressors are useless?

5/5/2003 5:42 PM
Mark Hammer
email

Probably not. The envelope follower in the CS-2 is identical to the one in the Ross and MXR units. The OTA used in the Boss unit is a better one than the 3080 in the ROSS/MXR, which should result in better handling of higher signal levels. If you like the little extra bit of grit that the 3080 provides when it breaks up on transients then that could be a deciding factor for a given user. There should be little or no audible difference in their respective "feels", though, since they both use OTAs and the same envelope-detecting sidechain (both in terms of design and component values), resulting in no difference in response/recovery time. Pretty much the same thing goes for the Nobels and Pearl compressors as well.

Page 1 of 5 Next> Last Page>>