ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Craig Anderton's Volume Pedal

9/4/2004 7:33 PM
John Fisher
email
Craig Anderton's Volume Pedal
Hello  
I build the Craig Anderton volume pedal that controls the volume without the scratch pot effect.  
It works very good in that respect and the effect of the volume up or down is fairly linial.  
The only thing that I don't like about it is that it is pretty noisy. If the volume is down you don't hear the noise of coarse but when the volume is up it's pretty noisy to where it is almost unacceptable even playing live.  
Humm! What should I do about it if anything?  
Thanks for any help with this.  
John Fisher

9/5/2004 2:52 PM
anonymous
John, I too built that project years ago and abandoned it because of the noise !  

Alf

Thursday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

9/7/2004 5:05 PM
Mark Hammer
email

It IS a nice scratch-free retrofit but in some applications the 70db S/Nratio claimed is simply insufficiently quiet.  

Here's a suggestion to get the best of both worlds.  

Use a dual-ganged pot, with one half wired up as per usual in the circuit and the other half wired up like a passive treble cut control on a guitar at the output of the circuit (i.e., cap and variable resistor in series going to ground). So, as you increase the volume, you also let more treble signal pass to the output, and as you pull back on the volume, you roll off the hiss a bit.  

Make sense?  

Expect to experiment a bit with the cap values and maybe even a bit with the taper of the pot. In principle, though, it should work and make the pedal a little more liveable.

9/12/2004 5:35 PM
John Fisher
email

Mark, The noise does already diminish when the volume is down so that is not a problem but when it is up higher is when you hear it.  
I have to make sure that I have the pedal down when the music stops or everyone in the audience and the band all of a sudden have their heads turned to me.  
Thanks!  
John Fisher

Page 1 of 1