ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

red fuzz ( calling Mark Hammer)

8/29/2004 9:46 AM
Alf
email
red fuzz ( calling Mark Hammer)
Hi there,  

Some time ago I built a red fuzz (project on JD sleep's site) and it works great but recently I put it into a box and now I hear some oscillation at the more severe fuzz settings. It was there probably all the time but I didn't notice it till now.  
This happens quite often ,when you have built a project you're very enthusiastic and this makes you less critical so when the first enthusiasm has worn off these things become more apparent  
It's the sort of oscillation that influences the tone in a bad way (parasitic)not a real squeal. What can I do to get rid of it ?  
I would be grateful if you could help me .  
Thanks in advance  

Alf

9/1/2004 3:09 PM
Stephen Giles
Yes - it's what we we call in England "sod's law". This may call for a small capacitor, say 100p between the non inverting input and the output of each op amp. I'm only guessing here (at London Heathrow)but try it and see if it makes any difference.  
Stephen

Thursday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

9/1/2004 3:11 PM
Stephen Giles
oops - 2 we should be 1 we!!!!

9/1/2004 3:37 PM
Alf
email

Thanks for your reply Stephen , I'll give it a try .  
Things have been very quiet over here on this site lately. Where's everybody gone ??  

Alf

9/4/2004 11:43 PM
John Fisher
email

It sounds like your layout might have something to do with it.  
especially with circuits with high gain, if the output wires are too close to the input wires and especially if they are not shielded you could have a problem like that. it also helps to have the leads to pots and switches only as long as necessary.  
I also built the red fuzz and I like it a lot.  
John Fisher

9/5/2004 2:50 PM
anonymous
John ,you might have a point there, I didn't use shielded wire .  
I'll change it as soon as possible and will let you know what happened.  

Regards Alf

9/7/2004 4:47 PM
Mark Hammer
email
I'm back
Sorry I didn't respond. Took my first family vacation ever and was generally incommunicado.  

Our good buddy John seems to have everything in hand though. Caps in feedback loops are often a very good thing for not only keeping oscillations at bay, but also for keeping the fuzz in and the fizz out.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>