ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Matchless Hot Box TRUE Bypass

7/24/2004 6:42 PM
Ulrich
email
Matchless Hot Box TRUE Bypass
Is there a schematic or even better a lay out diagram around for converting a Matchless Hot Box to true bypass. A friend of mine some time ago installed a bypass, but this is not a true bypass. As far as I know, one not just needs a DPDT stomp switch, but a 3PDT switch - or even more? I have a Fulltone 3PDT.  

Thanks  
Ulrich  

P.S. Though this is a widly felt issue, I could not find any information on the internet on how to actually install a true bypass to the Hotbox.

7/27/2004 12:49 AM
Shea
Can't speak to the Matchless specifically, but GeoFex has some good articles on bypass switch circuits.  

See: http://www.geofex.com  

Basically, it's possible to rig up a DPDT switch to provide true bypass switching and also switch an LED on and off. Check out the articles on "Millenium bypass."  

Shea

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

8/23/2004 11:45 PM
jon
email

Coupla things to consider...are you comfortable with high voltage circuits, lead dress with a high gain circuit in close quarters, and rewiring it?  

Do you care about resale value?  

Would true bypass with just a DPDT stomp switch and no LED anunciation be acceptable, or do you wanna see when the signal is being modified by the circuit?  

Even if you don't wanna use the Millenium Bypass and would rather use a 3PDT, you'll still need a low voltage tap and current limiting resistor for the LED. You can develop the low voltage source off the main B+ using a zener or voltage dividers and capacitance...the current draw may cause you to get some voltage drop to the business end of the circuit which may affect tone.  
OTOH, you can develop the low voltage tap by rectifying and filtering from the 6.3VAC heaters (I don't recall if the Matchless uses AC or DC on the heaters) in some settings, this may introduce noise into the signal.....  
HTH  
Jon

Page 1 of 1