ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Lacquer covered cloth wire over PVC insulation?

8/9/2004 3:10 PM
J.R. Lacquer covered cloth wire over PVC insulation?
I'd like to get your opinions on this stuff.  

"This wire has a lacquered cotton braid and is an ideal replacement for vintage radio wiring or to give a classic look to new projects. The cotton braid is woven over PVC insulated wire rated at 600 volts and 105 degrees that conforms to UL-1016."  

http://www.radiodaze.com/wire-600.htm

8/9/2004 4:45 PM
Bruce /Mission Amps
email

I bought some cloth wire from them and was very dissappointed in it.  
Thick, harder to work with and the cloth ends frayed so bad it looked like the end of a blown up cartoon fire cracker.  
Maybe they have fixed all that and this is different... also a bit pricey.  
How much and what color are you looking for?  
Bruce

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

8/9/2004 4:48 PM
Bruce /Mission Amps
email

Well, it does say "new wire" in August and 20 cents a foot in 100 foot lengths is much better.  
As far as what might have been their old wire, that old dry crumbly PVC covering and loose weave made me toss it in the trash.  
Bruce

8/9/2004 11:19 PM
DD
You can't beat teflon insulation for it's numerous electrical properties. PVC in general has a high dielectric constant that increases spurious capacitance and coupling between adjacent wiring. Same for cotton coated PVC.  

In sum, for superior tone stick with Teflon insulation if you must go with the exotic stuff. And it's usually less expensive than cloth wire these days.

8/10/2004 12:23 AM
Bruce /Mission Amps
email

IMHO:  
Barring some exotic high gain monster preamp sections, cloth covered wire is fine for every application in most every guitar amp I can think of.  
The additional question of the plus and minus of teflon vs any other insulator in these amps is very close to nil and a moot point.  
In sum, for superior tone, practice more and save the exotic wiring for the high end audiophile nut cases. ;)  

Bruce

8/10/2004 4:06 PM
Wild Bill
email

Exactly, Bruce!  

Guess nobody championing the high cost stuff figured out the reactance of a half pf at a khz or so...  

This is smaller than mice nuts...hell, it's less than moth nuts!  

This echoes my point about sympathetic magic and putting the emphasis on the least rather than the most important stuff.  

"sigh" - I guess it's easier...  

How are you coming with developing the best way to twirl those tarnished resistor leads in your needle nose pliers?  

---Wild Bill

8/10/2004 7:03 PM
Bruce /Mission Amps
email

quote:
"how are you coming with developing the best way to twirl those tarnished resistor leads in your needle nose pliers?"
Ha ha.. I am resolved that the "Old World Craftmanship" way of holding the pliers gently in my left hand whilst lightly squeezing them with said leads in the needlenose jaws and then slowly twirling the resistor body between my index finger and thumb, yields the finest tone of all.;)  
Two or three turns is suffiecent for most applications but you need to experiment for max bandwidth and the least amount of stray capacitance.  
Bruce

Page 1 of 6 Next> Last Page>>