ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Best 6L6, V1/V2 for borderline clean /distn

7/29/2004 8:04 PM
Sonic Boom
email
Best 6L6, V1/V2 for borderline clean /distn
Guitar: Strat with EMG active pickups (high output)  

I play mostly clean and on the border of distorted / saturated. Love it when the harmonics and SLIGHT compression kicks in. Do not venture to far into distorted territory. Looking for advice on which tubes to place in V1 and V2 (ie 12Ay7,12Ay7 or 12Ay7, 12Ax7) or any other combo that excells at brilliant clear - clean / compressed notes with great harmonics.  

Same thing with the 6L6's. Some say tungsol 5881's are the definitive tubes for a deluxe whereas mook is high on Philips EGC 6L6. Are there any David Gilmour fans out there that catch my drift? - POWERFUL / CLEAN-COMPRESSED / ARTICULATE / CLEAR HUGE SOUND!!!!  

Thanks in advance!  
Sonic Boom

7/29/2004 10:04 PM
DD
5751's with Tung Sol 5881's.  

5751's with 6V6GTA's also good.  

But with a 5E3 I don't think you're going to get that David Gilmour sound. Need lot's of compression as well.

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

7/29/2004 11:14 PM
Sonic Boom
thanks DD, do you mean 5751's in both positions?

7/30/2004 1:49 PM
Jammin' John
email
Wrong Amp !!!!!!!
Wrong Amp.The 5E3 isn't an active PU clean compression amp.......it just isn't. JJ

7/30/2004 3:23 PM
DD Re: Best 6L6, V1/V2 for borderline clean /distn
A 5751 in the 1st position, and maybe the 2nd position as well depending how clean you want things.  

But I have to agree with the comment that the 5e3 is not really a clean playing amp. I'd think you'd want a BF deluxe or twin instead.  

Some of David Gilmore's stuff is very clean with lot's of compression while other stuff of his has lot's of time delay on it to give an underlying distorted tone the appearance of being cleaner than it really is.  

Also, for clean sustain you not only can use a compressor before the amp but you also can use a studio compressor in line with the mic as well as it is being recorded. Many recording engineers prefer old tube compressors like the old Fairchilds for the later because they give that big fat clean tone. The trick is to get a fat sustaining tone without sounding like a typical clean country guitar.  

So I'd say there are probably multiple factors that give Gilmour his fat sustaining clean tone.

7/30/2004 3:27 PM
DD
Also, Gilmour has been know to use strats with very hot pickups that roll off a good portion of the highs associated with standard strat pickups. This could also be what you are hearing.

7/30/2004 2:29 PM
Chris - CMW amps
email
one word:
Hiwatt :)  

Chris

Page 1 of 1