ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Sending Up Flares

3/6/2004 3:04 PM
Jeff
email
Sending Up Flares
Ooooookay, so I have a few PuPs coming in for re-wind and I'm trying to iron out all the bugs in my technique first. I wound up two bucker bobbins last night, and they came out really nice. Still, the bobbins are ever-so-slightly flared at the ends, which I'd like to minimize if at all possible.  

I figure part of my problem has been the kung-fu grip I put on the wire while winding. I tried stopping about 1/16" short on the travel and filling in the edges periodically and it results in a nice coil shape for sure, and I THINK I eased up on the tension a bit.  

Question is, am I still applying too much tension or do I just need to layoff the filling in of the edges a bit? Whaddya guys think?  

Is it too much to expect perfectly flat bobbins with hand guiding since I apply additional tension by pinching the wire (to account for changes in winding speed, etc.)?

3/6/2004 10:13 PM
Jason Lollar
email

nothing beats practice, you can wind a flat coil by hand, I like them a little bulged out in the center. dont fill in in the edges, let the coil expand on its own. You may have to adjust your gap a bit.

Thursday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

3/7/2004 4:42 AM
Jeff
email

Thanks Jason. Eh heh ... I don't have any stops/gap for the wire. I just use a piece of white paper as a back drop, close one eye, and "eyeball" it in. I wound two buckers today, and each bobbin got a little better. The last two are pretty nice, so I think I'm almost there. Gotta drop them into a guitar though to be sure they sound good. The first was right at 10,000 turns, and is about 7.9k. I wound the second for the bridge to 10,300 turns and it came in at 8.2k.  

You're right about the practice, and letting the coil fill in on its own. That's what I did on the last two bobbins, and they look really nice ... a little buldge, as you mentioned. I also backed off a little on the tension ... at least I tried to.  

I got a P-90 in today for re-wind, so I'll practice more tomorrow with that. The last one I sent the guy was significantly flared at the ends. I sent him a digital photo before mailing it, but he wanted to try it anyway. He really likes it, but I was so disappointed with the appearance. The good thing is that we're good enough friends that he knows I'm still learning. The benefit for him is that I yank the ceramic mags out in favor of A5 and give him a decent random wind.  

Thanks again. I'll keep at it!

Page 1 of 1