ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Nailing the P90

2/14/2004 10:03 PM
Jabs Nailing the P90
There's a lot of discussion about the P90, the design and sound of which I'm admittedly ignorant. I occupy myself turning cruddy Strat knock-offs into useable pickups.  

When someone says "SRV", EVERYONE can hear that sound in his head.  

What about the P90? What artist could I listen to whose sound just screams "P90!"?

2/14/2004 11:45 PM
Glenn
George Thoroughgood has the P-90 sound. Some early Chuck Berry, Who, I think GreenDay had a record that they called "a P-90 record". If I could only have one pickup, it'd be a P-90 by the bridge.

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

2/15/2004 1:26 AM
Jason Lollar
email

The thing about P-90's is most guitar players anymore have never used them, an almost obscure pickup that has gained in popularity over the last 5 or 6 years.  
Steve Marriot of Humble Pie, Gatemouth Brown, its really tough to find a very popular artist that used them for thier signature tone that everyone would recognise.  
The P-90 was slammed for so long possibly starting in the early 70's because IMO everyone was going to humbuckers and light gauge strings and P-90's can be noisy in certain circumstances.  
Great pickup design, the very first pickup I ever made back in the late 70's and have probably made more of those than any other type which would be for two reasons, one I really like them so i always promoted them and 2 the word got out so many people associate me with that pickup.

2/15/2004 1:57 AM
Glenn
Just thought of another one - it might be a P-90 in Mississippi Queen. I think Leslie West played a LP Jr or LP Special on that.

2/15/2004 3:01 AM
Dave Stephens
Jeez, what a bunch of rockers you guys are. My favorite P90 user is Junior Watson, and there's Nick Currin who's also great. Don't forget early Freddie King too. P90s are big in the Portland blues scene.....Dave

2/15/2004 2:53 AM
Jeff
email

I saw one of those "storyteller" shows or some such thing with John Fogerty. He played "Born On The Bayou" using a Gold Top with P-90's and a JTM-45. The sounds was classic Fogerty. I'll bet a lot of the Creedence sound was P-90.

2/15/2004 5:42 AM
Fred Hammon
email

"What artist could I listen to whose sound just screams "P90!"  

Carlos Santana's SG at Woodstock '69. I would assume that would go for his 1st album as well.

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>