ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Rick 4001 pickups

5/2/2003 4:11 AM
Mike
email
Rick 4001 pickups
I have to rewind a rick 4001 pickup. how many turns would you suggest and what size wire. thanks

5/2/2003 6:05 PM
Dr. Strangelove
The guitar 'toaster' pickups were used unchanged on the 4001 neck at one time, the specs are the same:  
#44 wire wound out to 7.0-7.5k DC resistance  

That's 2900 feet of wire, roughly 5800 winds on a toaster bobbin.  

The average toaster bobbin circumferance is 6 inches, an estimate that errs on the high side since Rick magnet rods are big, 1/4" dia instead of the 3/16" Fender style.  

I'll put up some Toaster bobbin measurements tonight so Yves can crunch the numbers better for us.  

-drh  
--

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

5/3/2003 1:39 AM
Mike
email

I should have posted that I need the specs on the bridge pickup on the 4001 bass let me know if anyone has the specs on that. Thanks

5/4/2003 1:21 AM
Greg Simon
email

Hello. I had a '73 Rickenbacker bass that I sold about 6 months ago. The bridge pickup was blown when I got it and so I had it rewound by TV Jones about 7 years ago. If I recall correctly, he wound it to around 9.5k and I think it was 44 gauge, though I could be wrong. you may want to track him down. I could measure the pickup on my current 4003 and tell you what it is if you would like me to? I will be going up to see Wolfe Macleod of Wolfetone pickups within a month and he should be able to take a look at it and tell what wire was used, etc.  

The one TV Jones did for me was a great match for the neck pickup and sounded very nice.  

If the pickup you need to rewind is the horseshoe one, then the specs on that will be different, and if it is one from the 60's I believe they have cobalt magnets also.  
Hope that helps?  
Greg

Page 1 of 1