ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

anyone here playing trumpet?

2/7/2004 5:13 PM
Stefaan Van Slycken
email
anyone here playing trumpet?
Lately i've been into louis armstrong & miles davis, startin' to love the trumpet as an instrument. So I'm wondering, is it an "easy" instrument, does one get quick results with it, or is it years of hard practice before anything starts to sound OK?  

kind regards,  
SVS.

2/7/2004 6:16 PM
Mark Lavelle
You should listen to Cake, too!  

My son picked up a trumpet in 6th grade because he had to pick either an instrument or chorus, and a buddy of mine had recently upgraded from his old High School horn, which he gave to my son. Three years later, he's never had a private lesson, but he's got all the basics (except rhythm {;)} ). And this is a kid who averages a under 100 minutes a week of practice.  

I'll bet that if you start out with a few private lessons (to get a proper grounding in basic techniques) you'll get very quick results. My impression is that you can get a decent tone in the Bb scale pretty quickly, and it's more work to get the accidentals (#s & bs) and extend your range. Intonation is probably the area you'd spend the rest of your life on, but I think you can have a lot of fun with a trumpet within a few months of picking it up.

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

2/7/2004 10:11 PM
AlChemIst
As a trumpet player (who hasn't played in years), the guitar is 100 X easier than the trumpet. I suppose it depends on a persons natural dexterity, but for me, improvisation is difficult in terms of changing keys. For guitar, if you want to improvise a "lick" in a key a half step down from where you normaly play, for instance, you just play the same fingerings, just 1 fret lower. To do the same on a trumpet would be a totally different fingering pattern, and some of the fingerings might not feel too natural, comparerd to the key you are used to.  

I think in learning the trumpet, some keys are easier than others, so you tend to be more proficient in some keys than others. For guitar, this is virtually non-existant (other than when you are near the nut, or all the way up the fretboard).  

If I were to do it all over again, I would play the sax instead!  
Or, I would not learn it in the conventional way, and just play things by ear, no matter what the key, to become proficient in all the keys. I think when you lean conventionally, you play too much in a few "easy" keys, and develop your finger memory before learning the other keys.  
Don't let this scare you, the basics are quite easy. Now I haven't even gotten into embouchure (which depends on the strength of your muscles around your mouth, which take years of regular practice to develop well)...

2/9/2004 10:27 PM
Stefaan Van Slycken
email

thanks for the info, I know I easily quit when I don't get quick results, so i realize that when I buy a trumpet and I can't play a decent tune after half a year or so it'll probably end up in some closet.  
that reminds me i still have an 8-string lapsteel somewhere ;)  

kind regards,  
Stefaan.

2/10/2004 8:19 PM
AlChemIst
I am always telling myself that I need to get back into the trumpet (I've invested so much time into it), but other projects/hobbies are more forgiving when you neglect them. The fingers are still there, I could probably still impress someone for about 10 minutes, then my lips will start to go out.

Page 1 of 1