ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

anyone playing both piano and guitar?

12/17/2003 10:12 AM
Kursad K anyone playing both piano and guitar?
I've been trying to play electric guitar since a few years without much accomplishment. I havent been able to do much other than trying to play that cool solo in the beginning/middle of a song, and repeating the pentatonic scale a thousand times, and... eventually I have quit, and switched to another instument(piano), and within a few *months* I've made more progress than I could do with guitar in *years*. At least at long last I can play complete tunes, not just short solos. Perhaps that shouldn't be surprizing because unlike guitar piano is self-adequate (does not need accompaniment), and you can easily find precise notation of what you'll play instead of incomplete tabs and/or chords over lyrics and know exactly what to do instead of trying to figure out how to play a poorly notated (if at all) tune? What do you think?  

Kursad

12/17/2003 1:38 PM
Steve Conner
email

I just started learning piano about 2 weeks ago. I'm still on the absolute beginners stuff, but it's great fun, and I swear it's improving my guitar playing too. Plus, it means I finally have to learn to read music.  

The reason I took it up was because I felt my guitar stuff had stagnated. I've been playing guitar for 15 years, since I was about 10 years old, and the last year or so, it felt like I was going nowhere.  

BTW- Guitar works fine without accompaniment. The classical guitar has been played as a solo instrument for hundreds of years.  

Steve C.

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

12/17/2003 6:35 PM
Kursad K
quote:
"Plus, it means I finally have to learn to read music."

It seems impossible to learn to read at the rate of playing and memorizing notes takes a lot of time. That's a different kind of difficulty. With guitar the hard part of the job was to know how to play and the mechanical difficulty of playing itself. With piano these two are not a problem (or that has been my impression so far)- but even a short piece has so many notes to be memorized and playing with two hands makes that task difficult but at least that's the only difficulty that needs to be addressed.  

Kursad

12/19/2003 10:30 AM
Steve Conner
email

quote:
"It seems impossible to learn to read at the rate of playing"

This is called sight reading, and many good musicians can actually do it. There are sight reading tests in the more advanced music exams.  

But if you spend a long time practicing a difficult piece of music, you will probably remember a lot of it, and be able to play it without really looking at the music too much.

1/6/2004 6:14 AM
okie-d
email

actually, i'm fairly well known for playing guitar and piano. also tried hitting a drum and/or cymbal with my head,....but i chipped my tooth on the harmonica wired around my neck. i found that "walking" bass lines weren't too difficult, with my left foot, but i sprained my other ankle half-way thru "maple leaf rag", dropped my custom PRS on a spectator and went sky-diving,..lots safer.

12/17/2003 2:56 PM
AlChemIst
You might be the next Eddie Van Halen!

12/17/2003 6:58 PM
Love Hippie
You said:  

"What do you think?  

Me says:  

I think you are a misunderstood genius that is just starting to realize that you have the potential to take over the world by a storm given your supernatural piano powers.  

- Love Hippie (The Caring Person)

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>