ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Looking for a good sound card

8/24/2003 9:19 PM
Steve A.
email
Re: Looking for a good sound card
Brad:  

Did you turn off everything that you don't need running?  

Yeah... I checked out all of the "usual suspects". :(  

I noticed that even when Windows is set to "No Sounds" other programs may trigger WAV files for certain events.  

Brian Miller from eMagic had some good suggestions over at the RolandStudioPack group on Yahoo: set up a stock/crap soundcard as the default to handle all of the "noises" from Windows and then select your good card within the particular audio application. Only problem with that solution is that programs like WinAmp will send their output to the stock/crap soundcard and I'd need to use a second set of speakers for that. Or I could just forget about WinAmp and use CEP to playback mp3 files.  

One suggestion from the RSP Group that makes a lot of sense is to use a second physical hard drive for all of your audio data files, and if possible set it as the master device on the IDE cable. But these suggestions are for recording audio files... on this computer I am just editing audio files which should not be so critical.  

--Thanks!  

Steve Ahola

8/25/2003 6:49 AM
SpeedRacer
email
Re: IRQ's FYI
Interrupts (IRQ) on a 8259 controller:  

Order from highest to lowest priority  
0, 1, 8, 9(2), 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  

Dec Hex Oct Bin  
0 0 0 0000  
1 1 1 0001  
8 8 10 1000  
9/2 9 11 1001  
10 A 12 1010  
11 B 13 1011  
12 C 14 1100  
13 D 15 1101  
14 E 16 1110  
15 F 17 1111  
3 3 3 0011  
4 4 4 0100  
5 5 5 0101  
6 6 6 0110  
7 7 7 0111  

Why they go in this order? Maybe someone older and wiser than I can answer that! It makes no immediate sense to me. It "just is".  

make sure fastest & most important stuff has highest priority. eg: disk controller should always be way up there, NIC card should be way *down* there. (very chatty, very slow in the scheme of things) stuff like that. Try not to have anyone "sharing" if you can help it. "IRQ Sharing" is shorthand for "I want wierd intermittent problems I can't troubleshoot". ;)

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

8/25/2003 3:47 PM
Mark Lavelle
email

quote:
"Why they go in this order? Maybe someone older and wiser than I can answer that!"
I don't know about older & wiser, but the answer is historical in nature, so I guess I might be older... ;)  

The original IBM PC only had interrupts 0..7. When the AT (or maybe it was even the XT, which was the first to assume the existence of a hard disk) came along with the wider bus & lots of slots, they doubled up on the interrupt logic by hanging another 0..7 (AKA 8..15) off of int 2 on the primary interrupt interface.  

I'm not sure how/why 9 is aligned with 2, but 8..15 come between 1 and 3 because they are all 'sub-interrupts' of int 2 (in a sense).

9/4/2003 3:25 AM
sr
thanks! that makes perfect sense.. I kept saying to myself "how do the second most anal group of folks (after accountants) devise such an #@$ system. That's why I wrote it in hex and bin to see if it made sense some other way..

8/25/2003 6:52 AM
SpeedRacer
email
Re: Looking for source of problem - a thought
OTTOMH - why is your video card sharing an IRQ with your HD controller? That sounds like somewhere to start tweaking IMHO.

8/25/2003 4:26 PM
MBSetzer
email

I don't like the idea of sharing an IRQ between the Realtek and the Hercules.  

Here is some interesting info from about 1998 vintage:  

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/res/irq/index.htm  

If you look into the linked frames it explains how the IRQ's got to be the priority they are.  

Mike

8/26/2003 3:59 AM
Steve A.
email

Speed:  

OTTOMH - why is your video card sharing an IRQ with your HD controller? That sounds like somewhere to start tweaking IMHO.  

Looks weird to me, too, but I've had the best luck just letting Windows (and perhaps the mobo as well- I dunno) handle all of the assignments.  

The last two computers I've put together have Intel chipsets and the interrupts have come out very strange. I put a Roland RPC-1 card in the other computer and was trying to get it on its own interrupt so I started disabling on-board features (Com ports, printer ports, even the USB ports which hog several interrupts). Although there were several free interrupts (3,4,5,7 and maybe even 10) the mobo kept putting the RPC-1 on a shared interrupt with other devices. :(  

That computer is supposed to be a dedicated DAW... do you think that I ought to assign the interrupts manually through BIOS and then reinstall Windows (98/2K dual boot)?  

BTW what is with all of the interrupts over 15??? I did not notice that with the DAW computer.  

--Thanks!  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. So how do you disable ACPI when installing Win2K? Just turn it off in BIOS or do you hit F5 when the install program is starting up?

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 6 Next> Last Page>>