ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Ear candy

8/1/2003 4:00 AM
Steve A.
email
Ear candy
    One of my favorite Steve Miller tunes has been out of print for 30+ years... it was from his very first recordings for the "Revolution" soundtrack in 1968— the Isley Brothers' "Your Old Lady".  

That was a big hit on the FM underground radio stations back then, but he never included it in any of his compilation albums... I guess he didn't want to be associated with the acid rock wankers from SF scene. ;) Well, you can run but you can't hide from your sordid past, so here is the aural evidence:  

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/mp3/yer_old_lady.mp3  

It was pointed out to me that the guitar chorus commensing at 4:12 was actually from "The Ballad of Davy Crockett" (the Walt Disney movie). That kinda blew me away... :D  

I saw Steve Miller several times throughout the 60's and I think he played something like a Twin stacked on top of a Dual Showman bottom and the two channels were patched together with a guitar cord. Two possibilities come to mind: maybe he played one channel or the other (but not both at the same time) or... his amp must have been modded to put both channels in phase! He was the first rock guitarist I saw live that got a really great clean blues tone... he might have been using his wah pedal as a filter.  

--Enjoy!  

Steve Ahola

8/1/2003 8:21 AM
Steve A.
email
Rare Mike Bloomfield recording
In the category of the most heavenly Bloomfield peformances that the fewest people have heard, the obscure "Barry Goldberg and Friends Live" is the clear winner. No "best of" compilation is really complete without some representation from Mike's three performances on this disc. Bloomfield was "on" and smokin' the night these tracks were recorded. "One More Mile" is stretched out to often-thrilling effect by an on-fire Mike.  

from "If You Love These Blues" [published 2000]  

I just found this tonight in my collection of Barry Goldberg albums— most of them really suck so I had never bothered to flip it over and listen to side two... :(  

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/mp3/one_more_mile.mp3  

So they start out playing in different keys and the bass player keeps getting lost— it's still one heck of a performance from Mike! To see what one person can do with one 12 bar chorus check out the guitar solo that starts at 3:07... :D  

--Enjoy!  

Steve Ahola

Thursday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

8/2/2003 7:36 PM
Doug H
email

Wow! Nice guitar playing! I've never really heard Bloomfield before, now I understand the fuss.;-)  

But what was the bass player on that night? Yikes!;-) Was he playing a fretless, out of tune or just completely lost??? Unfortunately, I've played with bassists like that before...:-(  

Doug

8/11/2003 5:32 AM
Steve A.
email
Here's another one from Mike...
    True confessions time— I've never liked the song "Sweet Home Chicago"... :( I must have at least a dozen versions and they all suck (except for the original by Robert Johnson). Well, this one is really great, too (I guess the bass player does better with a faster beat ;) ):  

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/mp3/sweet_home_chicago.mp3  

--Enjoy!  

Steve Ahola

8/1/2003 4:03 PM
Mark Hammer Re: Ear candy
Whew, that's not at all like David Lindley's version on El-Rayo X, is it!

8/2/2003 2:47 AM
Steve A.
email

Mark:  

Whew, that's not at all like David Lindley's version on El-Rayo X, is it!  

David Lindley's first solo album also included his killer version of "Mercury Blues" which Steve Miller also did for the Revolution soundtrack... ;)  

Lindley was playing with Kaliedoscope back when the Steve Miller Blues Band was starting out, and I guess he must have been impressed by those songs. Or maybe he just liked the movie... :D  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. Speaking of Kaleidoscope, would you consider them to be the first rock band playing world music?  

http://www.vcn.bc.ca/sig/htmlsig/kalpers.htm

8/2/2003 6:20 AM
Steve A.
email
Gary Moore: Grinding Stone (from 1973)
    I heard this song on KSAN back in 1973 or 1974 and had to get it... ;) I've never seen it reissued on CD and have never heard anyone else even mention it. Maybe Gary would like us to forget about his sordid past— the song sounds like a cross between Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac and the Allman Brothers, with a healthy scoop of Steve Hillage added in for good measure:  

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/mp3/grinding_stone.mp3  

--Enjoy!  

Steve Ahola

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>