ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: What happens when your gig turns into a jam? (Long)

6/23/2003 7:14 PM
Humbucker
email
Re: What happens when your gig turns into a jam? (Long)
Well I guess I was just trying to be a nice guy and this is how you're rewarded when you act like a nice guy.  

Well I've got a new attitude now. 8^).  

Thanks to all that took the time to respond.

6/24/2003 2:40 AM
LarryB
email

Matt,  

Lots of good advice above. As others have said, for any truly professional musician, sit-ins are "invitation only." Anyone who doesn't honor this unspoken law shows their lack of class.  

If your band mates support you, but don't have the stones to tell this fool no, be creative. If all else fails, I look the jerk in the eye and say, "The club owner wants us to stick to the song list. No jams tonight, sorry."  

If he is too dense to accept this, then your reaction must fall somewhere between your instinct to be a nice guy and your fear of facing an assault charge for beating the stuffing out of this idiot. Under no circumstance let him touch your guitar again.  

Hope all goes well in the future.

Monday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

6/24/2003 3:23 AM
Steve A.
email

Larry:  

If all else fails, I look the jerk in the eye and say, "The club owner wants us to stick to the song list. No jams tonight, sorry."  

Hey, I was going to suggest the exact same thing yesterday but then thought that Jerkwad might be buddies with the club owner... but it's definitely worth a shot!  

I hate politics and if you get Jerkwad pissed off at you he might start spreading sh*t about your band. (Like telling booking agents "They're a great band— when they show up...") Geez, can't we all be friends?  

I didn't learn to be assertive (without going psycho ;) ) until I was maybe 40... you just keep a firm grip on your guitar and it'd take 4 bouncers to wrestle it away from you. The trick that works for me is to smile and be cordial, but just don't back down an inch from your position. Then again sometimes I just pretend that I didn't hear what they said... :D "No hablo ingles!"  

--Thanks!  

Steve Ahola

6/26/2003 2:21 PM
giustd
"If all else fails, I look the jerk in the eye and say, "The club owner wants us to stick to the song list. No jams tonight, sorry."  

I once told a guy, "Union rules, no guests unless they're cleared beforehand, if the union rep walked in right now the club AND the band would be screwed."  

He bought it!!!

6/27/2003 3:05 PM
michaelc
email

cool thread. i hate when these clowns ask to play at my gigs. they are always drunk or at least drunker than i am. i never ask to play when i go hear other acts but my bass player is always pestering the act to play, it annoys me to no end.  
we now have a policy that only once during the night that we will let somebody come up and play one song and that is in the first or second set.  
it offends a few but screw em. they didn't get the gig and i am not about to let them ruin it.  
rock on  
michaelc

6/27/2003 8:10 PM
giustd
"they didn't get the gig and i am not about to let them ruin it"  

Damn Straight, Mike!!!!  

I had a cartoonish experience when I was in my teens. We were playing at a backyard party, desperately trying to impress any girls that might be almost paying attention to us. In between sets, one of my older brothers guitar buddies asked if he could jam with our rhythm section. Sure...I'm a knobbly kneed pimply teenager, what am I gonna do?  
So he instructs the rhythm section to play the end solo section of Free Bird (this was late 70s, mind you, so it wasn't that hokey). Anyway, Joe Rock wails away for ten minutes and everyone gets into it. At the end he hands me the guitar, and I swear it was still smoking. I think he even broke a string.  
Hey, yeah, that was great, sure, sit in anytime.  
What a jackass.

<<First Page<Prev Page 6 of 6