ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Carver power amp transformer!

8/18/2003 4:31 AM
Matt Ross
email
Carver power amp transformer!
I have 2 Carver 1.5 power amps with blown transformers!!  
Does anyone have a source for these?  
Carver doesn't carry them anymore!!  
Thanks,  
Matt

8/19/2003 3:57 AM
Don Symes
email

If the cores are in good shape, is Carver willing to tell you about the numbers of turns and gauges and such?  

That'd let you rewind 'em ... or get 'em rewound.  

HTH!

Thursday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

8/29/2003 9:39 AM
steve conner
email

If the transformers are blown, surely you can just dismantle them, count the turns, and rewind them yourself? That is a big job, though, and you're not likely to be able to do it well enough to meet the thousands of safety regulations now in force :(

9/6/2003 6:55 PM
Rick Erickson
email

Are you certain it's the transformers? Carver ususally used a triac to supply controlled AC to the primary winding. If this triac shorts it will act like a shorted primary and blow the mains fuse.  
If the transformer is blown you will either have to have it custom rewound or maybe find a replacement through one of these links.  

http://www.carverpro.com/2003/techsupport.html  

http://www.carveraudio.com/Equipmentrepair.htm  

http://www.vetcosurplus.com/  
- Vetco bought a bunch of surplus Carver chassis & parts several years back. I don't know if they have any of it left but it wouldn't hurt to ask. I scored a 3lb coffee can full of Carver (Motorola) C2000 T0-3 power transistors that the owner, (Warren) had tossed in the garbage can for some reason. My friend Bob Munger (ex Altec-Lansing engineer, transformer designer/builder etc.) who works there told me they were there and suggested I take them before Warren came to his senses... They appear to be MJ15003's or something similar. I've used them as replacements in Phase Linear 400's and Crown D-300 amps with no failures.  

RE

9/6/2003 7:12 PM
Mark Black
email

I second what Rick said about making certain it's really bad transformers. I've worked on quite a few of these (geez - it might be near 50) and their later incarnation the PM-1200, and have yet to find a single bad transformer.  

What I do find routinely is:  

Solder crack at output transistor sockets (sometimes invisible - I always retouch them all).  

Solder crack at the multipin amp card connectors (same as above).  

Solder crack at (ironically) the only capacitors they glued to the amp cards.  

Bad diodes (MR852's usually - if your amps have them in the main power supply section they should be replaced with 6A10 types as per a Carver service bulletin).  

Bad multi-section caps in the intermediate rail supply (no longer available but Phoenix Gold still sells a retrofit kit).  

Lots of other things but this is getting way too long.  

Just never a bad transformer yet...  

Good luck!

Page 1 of 1