ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Relay on protection circuit goes off and on...

12/11/2002 5:11 PM
Stan Bailey
email
Relay on protection circuit goes off and on...
but eventually it engages. This is a VS-450 Crest power amp. Could it be the MOV? Any ideas are apprecitaed.  
Stan

12/11/2002 7:26 PM
Stan Bailey
email
Speaker relays...no MOV
They keep switching on and off, but eventually stay on. About 4 minutes later.  
Stan

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

12/11/2002 9:13 PM
Gus
email

Check the offset voltage at the speaker terminals. One thing sensed by protect circuits is offset voltage. Most SS are down in the .001 Volt range.  

If it has a gain Knob turn it down all the way for the tests below  

Cheak the offset voltage at start up and when it stays on.  

I have not seen a crest amp schematic.  

if it is the offset voltage triggering the relay  

Do this first  

CHECK the device driving the amp for a dc offset this might be the problem. Disconnect anything going into the amp and test it for the problem  

Gus

12/12/2002 1:39 AM
Stan Bailey
email

Thanks,Gus.  
The offset seems to be within the acceptable range.  
I talked to the Crest tech, and he mentioned a signal diode, and/or leaky caps are usually the culprit.  
Thanks for your time, I appreciate it!  
Stan

12/12/2002 3:12 AM
John Fisher
email

I just fixed an amp with a problem with the protection circuit a couple of days ago.. It had a blown cap and a bad transistor in the protection circuit.  
John Fisher

12/14/2002 5:36 AM
Stan Bailey
email

Thanks, John for the reply.  
I'm still trying to fix this. It does nothing for about 4 minutes, then the relays turn on and off for about 30 seconds. Finally, they stay on. I then can switch the power off/on and the relays work normally. Sounds like a bad transistor?  
Stan

12/14/2002 9:42 AM
Enzo
email
Re: Relay on protection circuit goes off and on...
I think checking the output offset is a good idea. Remember when the relay is off, the voltage at the posts will be zero. Go inside and check at the stability coil or at the common emmitter resistors in the output stage. If there is a couple volts there, it could be shutting down. As the unit warms up it settles down and the relay chatters because it is right on the edge of good/bad.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>