ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Musicians' Friend blowing out LP Jr's!

4/5/2003 6:38 AM
Steve A.
email
Musicians' Friend blowing out LP Jr's!
    These are the real Les Paul Juniors with a single P-90 at the modern-intonated wraparound bridge. Neck as thick as a baseball bat! Get 'em while you can:  

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/search/g=home/detail/base_id/51493/rsrc=00990  

I never thought I'd buy a guitar sight unseen from a mail order house, but after reading about Chris B's experiences sending stuff back to MF I figured that I'd give it a shot (maybe they screwed up badly but at least they kept offering to take it back! :D )  

I ordered it around midnight on Monday night and it arrived today at the shop around 11:00AM.  

The first thing that I noticed about the box was that it was not factory sealed— the top flaps had been opened and were resecured backwards. "Uh-oh! Maybe they sent me one that someone else had returned..." :(  

No... I guess that they might be doing some Quality Control these days and possibly opened the box to make sure that there was no obvious problem with the guitar. When they went to seal it back up they figured it was easier to just reverse the flaps than remove the 3 box staples— you know, those sharp brass things that will tear up the back of your hand when you reach into the carton... ;)  

So how was the guitar? I just looked it over at work and the finish was much better than the one I was looking at over at GC (that was the one with the black stain smeared on the sides of the fretboard).  

I ended up going home to test it out before going back to work. Heck, I don't think I would have made it back to work if I hadn't snapped off the E-string at the tuner when I decided to prestretch it a bit after it kept going flat ;)  

When I tugged on the B string it lost all of its tension so I figured I must have broken that one, too, but I guess the guys working at Gibson don't know how to string guitars. Geez, you'd think that they would learn with all of the practise they get but I guess nobody cares as long as they get the strings on in the right order... ;)  

So how does the guitar sound and play??? Much better than the one I checked out at GC... great snap and sustain, and the P-90 will growl like a lion or purr like a kitty cat. Like a million times better than the Epi Paul Jr with the bolt-on neck that I got for $169 a few years ago.  

--Gotta get back to my new geetar!  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. MF's price is $499.99 with free 2-5 day shipping and no sales tax in 47 of the states. I talked GC down to $749.99 but sales tax here in the SF Bay Area would have been another $60.  

P.P.S. Gibson has discontinued this model. I have a hunch that they might be reintroducing it with a narrower neck in the next year or two  

P.P.P.S. Has anybody else noticed that almost every guitar link from music stores ends up at Musician's Friend? If you do a Google search for a particular model you might get a few pages of hits, but half of the sales links end up at MF. Hmmm... maybe MF is paying the stores for click-through sales just like Amazon.com does!

4/6/2003 7:23 AM
Steve A.
email
Here's a crappy sound sample!
    Not quite ready for prime time but you can get an idea of what the guitar sounds like:  

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/mp3/blue_gtr/p90_bluz.mp3  

--Enjoy!  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. In case you missed it, here's a link to the tune I recorded last weekend with my other Jr... the LP Jr Special with the P-100's:  

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/mp3/blue_gtr/gospel_blues.mp3  

I just need to clean up the ending a bit and it's a keeper!

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

4/6/2003 9:59 AM
ben
email

yeah !!!  

Good tone!

Page 1 of 1